VMware Cloud Community
pmnade
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter server crashed

Our Vcenter server crashed, I am having issues restoring the database onto the new server that I built.

I am thinking it might be better to do a fresh install. What are the steps in adding the hosts to new Vcenter as they are still pointing to the old Vcenter?   Are their any config files that I need to change on host before adding them to new Vcenter?

Also, our licensing server will need to be moved what are the steps in moving that?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

When you build out your new vCenter Instance are you using a new hostname and ip address?  If so, from your old vCenter Instance you can right click on the hosts and disconnect.  Once they are disconnected you can then remove them and their guests.  From there go to your new vCenter instance and add host. During the move, not guests will be impacted.

If your licensing server for your VI3 Hosts is on the old instance, you can leave the license server running and just shutdown the vCenter Server Service.  Otherwise you can build a standalone license server on your new host.

This is a very  high level.  Let us know if you need more information.

0 Kudos