VMware Cloud Community
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter is very slow

There is some issue in our Vcenter .We have created the cluster and added 8 ESX host enabled DRS ,HA.

The issue is two ESX host is not responding in cluster and we cannot do any task in the vcenter .It is very slow response.

After restart the Vcenter HA ,DRS was unselected from cluster and One ESx host connected the cluster another esx is stated not responding and VC is very slow. During the time system started migrating job .Totally hanged the Vcenter.

How to find and fix the problem?

Anyone can help on this issue.

Note :I have checked all esx host to connect VI client everything working fine.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would suspect name resolution problems, a good tip is to use FQDN everywhere and verify long and short names from all hosts.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter was working without any issue till last week.

How to find the name resolution problem?

0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The name resolution you can find doing the nslookup or ping command from the virtual center server for the ESX host and see if this is resolving correctly with the correct ip address and FQDN.

Jay

MCSE,VCP 310,VCP 410

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which database are you using?

If it's SQL-Express, make sure the DB size does not exceed the 4GB limit.

How to quickly check name resolution:

From vCenter server try pinging the FQDN names of the ESX hosts.

From the ESX hosts try pinging the FQDN of the vCenter server.

André

Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All ESX host resloving properly.

We are using SQL server 2005.If requried to check in DB server?

0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Wht is the size of your database.

Could you try to compact your DB and log.I think it will help.

Jay

MCSE,VCP 310,VCP 410

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1.5GB size.What is the procedure to compact the DB?

Esx host is taking very long time for reconnecting to the VC and two VM migration jobs get hunged.

Anyone can help issue?

0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For compacting your database you can follow the below link from microsoft,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189035.aspx

PS- Shrink is same as compacting.

Jay

MCSE,VCP 310,VCP 410

0 Kudos
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still problem is persisting in Vcenter .

Automatically started migration jobs and Host agent update .After few hours we can not login Vcenter The error ocurred

"-----

The request failed because the remote server 'defrwi345' took too long to respond. (The command has timed out as the remote server is taking too long to respond.)"

Aftere restart the Vcenter i can login to Vcenter and migration jobs and Host agent update starting .Again vcenter went to hung state

Please asist the problem.

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

Check that the vcenter box meets the minimum requirements for vcenter and that the service console has enough memory.

0 Kudos
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for reply.

Last 3months it is working without any issue.Autuallly plemty task started in vcenter after it went to hung state.

How to fix?

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

Sure, however the more bells and whistles that get turned on and the more hosts that get added the requirements go up.

What is the spec of the machine?

0 Kudos
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My Vcenter configuration is WIndows 2003 sp2 ,RAM 3GB,2CPU.

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

Check task manager on the vcenter server and see how it is performing.

Check the network configuration of the vcenter server and look for DNS issues (check that the server can reach all the ESX hosts)

Check the network configuration on each of the esx hosts, check they can all reach the vcenter.

When checking dns lookups, check by hostname (esxhost01) and by hostname.domain (esxhost01.fred.com)

You might also want to check the "System Resource Reservation" within the host and check the memory and CPU

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you upload a vpxd.log file that covers a time in which the problem is occurring?

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just started getting the same thing with VC running dog slow. I have not added any plugins nor have I added any settings changes to Windows. I've checked the ODBC connection and it connects fine. Now it takes 10 to 15 minutes before the client opens up. Once its up it takes another 10 mins before I can do anything. (every thing is grayed out) As soon as I go to do something like right click on a VM I have to wait another 2 to 5 min. This is on the VC server I'm seeing this. As far as a client connecting remotely to the VC server is out of the question due to the latency. The server it's self response just fine, just doing anything with VC does not.

Windows 2008 SP2

1cpu 4 core

4GB ram

SQL 2005

Will Johnson

VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere

&

2009 vEXPERT

Will Johnson VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere 5
0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Really need to see a vpxd log file during the time of the problem.

Three questions:

Is your database remote?

Is your remote database mirrored?

Do you see a lot of these in your vpxd logs?

23315: **WARNING** Lock domain-c96 mode SHARE held for 1757 ms

If so and you see times up to 30 to 60 seconds 30000/60000ms you have a DB mirroring config problem.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Solved my problem. It just so happen that my lic server went down with one of my host. Due to the lic server being down VC started running dog slow. Not even 30 sec later after getting the lic server back online did VC start preforming correctly. I'm running VC 4.0 and still have a few ESX 3.5 servers that require the lic server. If I remember the lic server can be down right up to 24hr? Or, I thought so and my case it was less then that.

WoW, note to self "make sure the lic server stays up"

Will Johnson

VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere

&

2009 vEXPERT

Will Johnson VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere 5
0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah..., yep, I've seen that exact same thing when our license server goes offline for some reason. Everything just slows down. In my experience though things slow down after the license server becomes unavailable, but then returns to normal after about 10 or 15 minutes (even when license server is still unavailable). I think the license server can be down for 14 days with the old flexlm license server. Not certain on how this translates in the new vSphere licensing.

0 Kudos