VMware Cloud Community
belanger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter architecture

Hi,

I have to make vSphere architecture. I resume I have 4 ESX clusters (Lab, Dev, Prod and recovery site). I want manage with 2 vCenter, the first for Lab and the second for the 3 other cluster. I have some problem with the security group. He doesn't accept I share the vcenter between clusters. He saw a potential attack, and require 1 vcenter by cluster. I use a dedicate network for my esx management. The security is sure for the vcenter someone one can attack the production network. I need some argument for explain their are no risk to share vcenter between cluster.

Thanks

Yan Belanger, VCP
0 Kudos
2 Replies
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Suerly a single vCentre server instance 'reduces' your attack surface Smiley Happy Im not sure what the issue is with vCenter server security.. its just a management tool for your ESX host servers... even if it is attacked and goes offline it doesnt stop any features such as HA or even the host security...

A consolidated appoach of having 1 x vCentre server managing multiple ESX hosts with SC traffic ports open between them is the best approach in my opinion. Maybe if your ESX hosts were between different firewalls then I could understand his requirement to have a single VCentre in the same firewalled domain as the hosts..... however what you need to explain to him is that for example: having to connect to multiple vCentre servers to make multiple ESX host changes increases the risk of misconfiguration and is thus a security risk. Connecting to 1 x VCentre server and making all the changes at once is more secure, faster and is the best option.

belanger74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank for your help.

Yan Belanger, VCP
0 Kudos