VMware Cloud Community
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter appliance host sensor errors

I am running a vcenter 6.0 appliance. Some time in the last week, the vcenter appliance stopped updating the three individual host's sensor data.

If I click on "Reset sensors", this error pops up:

"The "Resetting host sensors..." operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote service. See the server logs for details."

If I click on "Update sensors", this error pops up:

"The "Updating hardware data..." operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote service. See the server logs for details."

• I rebooted the appliance
  • I rebooted all three hosts
  • All three hosts are running esxi 6.0
  • I can open the C# client and all the sensor data is updated.

How to fix it??

Thanks!

Arch

0 Kudos
13 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hardware Status Tab not updating.

look at above thread, there's a solution also listed.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its the vcenter appliance ...not the vcenter server. How do you do these steps on the appliance???

2- Rename Data to Data.old in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\data

3- Open CMD and CD to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\scripts, run createDB.bat

4- Then run register.bat with your servername. e.g. register.bat %Vcenter Server Name%.domain.com 443 This has to be the FQDN of your VCenter Sever.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please take a look into following KB

VMware KB: vCenter Inventory Service fails to start in vCenter Server Appliance 5.x

the issue description is different, but take a look into resolution where they have explained what is the way to regenerate inventory service database. see if this helps.

Haven't tried it myself, so cannot say it going to be working for sure.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! I just ran through it. I ran into so many places where I could not find anything close in version 6.0

1. "service vmware-inventoryservice stop" - that command didn't work. I ran  "service status --all" but the only service close was "VMware Inventory Service". I figured out how to stop it though the vcenter gui.
  2. It says to run "mv /storage/db/inventoryservice/dat" - that didn't work because there is no such file or directory. I even searched the VM for "inventory" but there is nothing that looks like that.
  3. It mentions using "/var/log/vmware/vpx/inventoryservice" - there is no such directory.
  4. It mentions using "/var/log/vmware/vpx" - there is no such directory.

I'm baffled!

0 Kudos
mpinilla
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have right now the same exactly error message and synthoms. Have you achieved to solve it all?

Thanks, Miguel.

0 Kudos
Pechept
Contributor
Contributor

same problem

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure how you are able to see hardware status in the C+ client since it is no longer offered in vSphere 6, but you may want to check in the Web Client under security settings to make sure the the CIM service is running and that the CIM firewall connections are allowed.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
Pechept
Contributor
Contributor

why C+ client, i use web client

all running, and where i can check allowed connection?

The "Resetting host sensors..." operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote service. See the server logs for details.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

From the host go to Manage-->Settings-->Security Profile.  There are three CIM related firewall ports that should be open, and the CIM Server service needs to be running.

vCenter_HostSensor_CIM.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
Pechept
Contributor
Contributor

service running. problem not solved Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

Does it still get the error or it just doesn't populate?

0 Kudos
ITRegister
Contributor
Contributor

Having same problem here too.  Recently upgraded to ESXi 6.0.0, 3073146 and updated all firmware on server, cleared all logs on server.  Previous hardware memory error that has now been fixed is still being shown in vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client.  All attempts to reset sensors and reset event logs result in error messages such as the following:

The "Resetting system event log..." operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote service. See the server logs for details.

Hardware environment is HP DL360 Gen9.

0 Kudos
MAVC
Contributor
Contributor

I found a trick to resolve this.

1.- Access your VCenter with administrator@vsphere.local account.

2.- Go to Administration --> Access Control --> Global Permissions

3.- Add the user account or group with read permissions.

It worked for me.

0 Kudos