VMware Cloud Community
RegNullify
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Update Manager "Failed to retrieve data".....Please help!!!

Greetings,

I am experiencing the following problem in Vcenter 4 U1. After scanning an ESX host for updates and it completes I click on the "Update Manager" tab in vCenter and it shows that it is "loading........" , then after several seconds it just states " Failed to retrieve data". I have checked all of my DNS settings and confirmed good resolution, restarted the update manager service, disabled the "update manager" plugin, closed VI client, restarted it and enabled the plugin again and nothing works. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for your support.

System information for vCenter Server

- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 x32

- Oracle 11g database for vcenter and update manager (hosted)

- 13x ESX servers

- 2x clusters

- 100+ virtual machines

A, N, CNA, CNE, MCP, MCSA, VCP310, VCP410, VCI

<------ Long time dedicated IT Professional specializing in U.S. Federal Government implementations.

A+, N+, CNA, CNE, MCP, MCSA, VCP310, VCP410, VCI <------ Long time dedicated IT Professional specializing in U.S. Federal Government implementations.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Luke_J_Smith
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same thing on a fresh install of vCenter 4.1.

Anyone got some clues?

0 Kudos
RegNullify
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I have found the reason for the problem......here goes,

The following issue transpires when vCenter Update Manager tool is run against our 11.1.0.5 Oracle database:

After looking through the vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log (Bundle) here is what I see:

"ODBC error: (HY000) - [ODBC][Ora]ORA-22835: Buffer too small for CLOB to CHAR or BLOB to RAW conversion (actual: 2033, maximum: 2000)

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log:ORA-06512: at "VCNTRUPDMGR.VCI_MULTIBLCOMPLIANCELEAFLIST", line 213

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log:ORA-06512: at line 1

The issue is that VMWare is trying to insert data into the VCNTRUPDMGR.VCI_SCANRESULTS_TARGETS table and the ADDITIONAL_DETAILS NCLOB field using the vci_MultiBLComplianceLeafList Oracle procedure. The allCntCursor cursor within the procedure is attempting to cast data from the ADDITIONAL_DETAILS field to a NVARCHAR2(2000) data type when the actual data contained within the table field is 2033 character long. This problem can be fixed by adding a substring clause to the CAST call, but this ultimately will result in truncated data being shown.

The following code change to the allCntCursor cursor allows the GUI to continue to work:

select distinct tmp.target_uid, bu.update_id, srt.target_status,

cast(SUBSTR(srt.additional_details,1,2000) as nvarchar2(2000)) additional_details

The issue here is that the ADDITIONAL_DETAILS field should never allow the insertion of data that is greater than 2000 characters or your code will result in the error show above. The real issue here is the code being used to populate the VCI_SCANRESULTS_TARGETS table in the first place. The error above is just a result of the bad inserted data.

I guess we will find out what issues truncated data will cause in update manager and will keep you posted. Thanks for your support.

<------ Long time dedicated IT Professional specializing in U.S. Federal Government implementations.

A+, N+, CNA, CNE, MCP, MCSA, VCP310, VCP410, VCI <------ Long time dedicated IT Professional specializing in U.S. Federal Government implementations.
0 Kudos
Luke_J_Smith
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip... My issue is different, but you inspired me to look in the right place Smiley Happy

My solution is here - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1579266#1579266

0 Kudos
Bisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you managed to resolve the issue? Have same thing on vSphere 4.1 setup.

!http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2186/vcp.jpg!

0 Kudos
kottimon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I have a similiar issue with VUM 4.1 after migrating from 4.0.

Migrated to new machine (2008 R2) and VUM installed just fine, activate plugin in client also works fine.

I can handle baselines, and upload of the esxi 4.0 to esxi 4.1 bundle also worked well.

But when i check the compliance view on any level except a single item (host or vm) it only replies with failed to retrieve data.

On a single host or vm i can see the compliance view and remediate and/or patch, but as soon as i select either a bunch of vms in a folder, or the cluster to check the hosts it fails.

0 Kudos
Bisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried rescaning everything and changeing database colation (mentioned in some other thread), nothing helps. I`ll file support case tommorow.

0 Kudos
RegNullify
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I have posted a workaround in a previous post that is still working for me. Please note that I am using an oracle DB and not a Microsoft SQL DB. It is possible that a MS SQL DB has the same limitations as mentioned in my previous post. More than likely that VMware will need to take a look at how they are populating data in this portion of the database. The logic is flawed.

Meanwhile I will look around for any other information that I can find pertaining to this issue. I will post if I find anything.

-Reg

0 Kudos
kottimon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks RegNullify.

I've come across this in my VUM log:

"ODBC error: (42000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS" in the equal to operation." is returned when executing SQL statement "{CALL vci_queryEntityBLStatus(?, ?, ?)}"

In other words, there is a difference in collation between master and vcdb and that breaks some functionality in VUM 4.1 but did not cause a problem with VUM 4.0 u2.

Changing collation is unfortunately not something that can be done in a flash, and I'm no DBA...

If anyone has a good idea please share, otherwise i guess i could install a separate new umdb.

-kotti

0 Kudos
Bisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just finished support request and as mentioned by kottimon it seems that VUM DB collation need to be same as SQL server collation. I haven`t found easy way to chenge this setting so i just recreated my databases.

!http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2186/vcp.jpg!

0 Kudos