VMware Cloud Community
satishsalunkhe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter Service is getting terminated intermittently

Hi,

I have windows vcenter server(version 5.5) running on windows 2k8 OS.When i tried to connect to vcenter server using vsphere desktop client ...it is getting connected but after the span of few mins interval vcenter server service is getting terminated frequently.

My Vsphere  environment

1. single windows vcenter server(5.5) with 3 esxi hosts(5.5) with iscsi backend storage.

2. Vcenter is running with local database Microsoft Sql

3. Veem backup is installed and configured on vcenter itself to take snap backup

I can see event viewer has event id (7031) vcenter server service has been terminated (90 times)...and also found  vcenter server is running with older snapshot but not showing in snapshot manager.

Will older snapshot deletion reslove my issue? Any assistance and recommendation would be appreciated.

Kindly find attached vpxd.log file...

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Looks like DB is full:

2020-09-11T09:18:07.850-04:00 [02008 error 'vpxservicesvpxdMoEvent' opID=69ccfa-SWI-17e9df8b] Error inserting events: "ODBC error: (42000) - [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.VPX_EVENT_ARG'.'PK_VPX_EVENT_ARG' in database 'VIM_VCDB' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VPX_EVENT_ARG WITH (ROWLOCK) (EVENT_ID, ARG_ID, ARG_TYPE, ARG_DATA, OBJ_TYPE, OBJ_NAME, VM_ID, HOST_ID, COMPUTERESOURCE_ID, DATASTORE_ID, NETWORK_ID, NETWORK_TYPE, DVS_ID, DATACENTER_ID, RESOURCEPOOL_ID, FOLDER_ID, ALARM_ID, SCHEDULEDTASK_ID) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

1. Stop vpxd service.

2. Take backup/snapshot

3. Connect to VCDB with Sql Management studio and delete table vpx_event_arg

==> VMware Knowledge Base

View solution in original post

6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you are running anything like production workloads you should consider upgrading or migrating to at least 6.5, you’re way out of support back on 5.5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Please do not start multiple threads on the same issue/topic.

The second thread you created has now been archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Looks like DB is full:

2020-09-11T09:18:07.850-04:00 [02008 error 'vpxservicesvpxdMoEvent' opID=69ccfa-SWI-17e9df8b] Error inserting events: "ODBC error: (42000) - [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.VPX_EVENT_ARG'.'PK_VPX_EVENT_ARG' in database 'VIM_VCDB' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VPX_EVENT_ARG WITH (ROWLOCK) (EVENT_ID, ARG_ID, ARG_TYPE, ARG_DATA, OBJ_TYPE, OBJ_NAME, VM_ID, HOST_ID, COMPUTERESOURCE_ID, DATASTORE_ID, NETWORK_ID, NETWORK_TYPE, DVS_ID, DATACENTER_ID, RESOURCEPOOL_ID, FOLDER_ID, ALARM_ID, SCHEDULEDTASK_ID) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)"

1. Stop vpxd service.

2. Take backup/snapshot

3. Connect to VCDB with Sql Management studio and delete table vpx_event_arg

==> VMware Knowledge Base

satishsalunkhe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Vijay for quick respone.I will check this and let you know.

0 Kudos
satishsalunkhe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure Scott28tt.

0 Kudos
satishsalunkhe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Vijay for your help..Issue has been resolved after purging the database files.

0 Kudos