VMware Cloud Community
Stabia
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Server Database Corruption

I haven't had my ESX hosts running for some time and decided to start them up.  When I tried starting Vcenter Server service, I got an error.  When I looked at the SQL database VIM_VCDB, it had a status of SUSPECT.  I ran a SQL script to repair the database (DBCC CheckDB (VIM_VCDB, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)).  That fixed the problem and I was able to start the vcenter service.  But the network icon in the lower right taskbar stated that "a network cable is unplugged".  I tried updating drivers, deleting and adding the NIC but no good.  Vcenter server cannot communicate with the ESX host.  I went into vcenter client and tried to remove/add the ethernet adapter for vcenter but nothing shows under "Netwrk Label:" in the "Network Connection pulldown menu. So I can't add the ethernet adapter.  It a nutshell, I have a corrupted vcenter server.  How do I recreate the database from the 2 ESX host that I can still  access?  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Is your vCenter machine a VM? Are you able to ping the ESX hosts from your vCenter machine? What version of vCenter/ESX are you running?

Worst case is you would have to rebuild your vcenter machine and point it to the revoered database - if the database is fully corrupted then you will you need to rebuild your vcenter inventory bu readding the esx host - with 2 ESX servers even if you have to rebuild everything vcenter machine and databse should take less than an hour =

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Stabia
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the vcenter is a vSphere 4 VM, Windows 2003, running distributed switches on 2 ESX host.  This is my home lab.  First, I have to use vsphere client from my Windosw 7 desktop using ESX1 as my host logging on as root.  Then I can go to the console for vcenter server and log on as administrator.  I can use vsphere client again and log on with vcenter and administrator.  At this point, I have no connectivity to the ESX hosts because of the the NIC being unplugged.

0 Kudos