VMware Cloud Community
ISAGmbH
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Server Appliance lose sometimes connect to Active Directory

Hello,

we have the vCenter Server Appliance 5.0.0.3324 Build 472350 for 3 Hosts.

Service Version: 5.0.0-455964

Sometime we can not connect to the vCenter with the users from Active Directory.

For fast repair i connect  me with  the Managmend Console from the Appliance with the Browser  and under Authentication and Active Directory

i insert the Administrator user with password again. The Checkbox Active directory Enabled is Enabled

Then i restart the ESXi Services again.

With this thinks i can now add  under the permissions in vCenter my Users from Active Directory now.

Why is this,  who can help me to fix this problem, sometimes is this 2 times in the week.

Disk space is OK

For vCenter i have the embedded Database

Thanks,

TWSS

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lucasmv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I had a problem similar of yours, but in our enviroment our AD had 2 interfaces with 2 different vlans, one for managment, and one for service.

and when we ping from vcenter to our AD, sometimes we had reply from managment ip address and sometimes from service ip address.

So, if your case is similar of mine, the first think that you shoud do is to login in the vcenter appliance and ping to the AD, after that you can add a reference to ad in the /etc/hosts in the vcenter appliance.

It is possible to add the vcenter to active directoy by command line, using this command domainjoin-cli join (domain) user (with permissions to join domain).

you can try this too.

thanks

Lucas

0 Kudos
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ISAGmbH

Its interesting ,but real case very often its comes if not changed manually .

Could you plese let us know since how long you are facing this problem?

"He Conquers, Who Conquers Himself".
0 Kudos
ISAGmbH
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all replays,

for the last two months was the connect from vCenter with AD OK, before was the problem sometime 2 times in the week.

No was the problem last week again. One in the morning and then next day again.

I dont no why.

we have  on the Server only one Network Card, Ping to the AD-Server is OK.

For the next time i make a query (thanks lukasmv) with the domainjoin-cli then i can tell more

kind regards,

TWSS

0 Kudos
ISAGmbH
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

now i have updated to the new vCenter Server Appliance 5.0.0.5239 Build 759855

Put the problem is not resolved.

when i make  in the vCenter Server Appliance a Domain Query then i have

vca:~ # domainjoin-cli query
Name = vca
Domain = xxx-yyy.LOCAL
Distinguished Name = CN=VCA,OU=Member-Servers,OU=Computers,OU=MyBusiness,DC=xxx-yyy,DC=local

put i can not take the Domain when i want do add a USER  from the Domain in the vSphere Client .

With the CLI
vca:~ # domainjoin-cli --log . join  xxx-yyy.local admin
Joining to AD Domain:   xxx-yyy.local
With Computer DNS Name: vca.xxx-yyy.local

admin@xxx-yyy.LOCAL's password:
20120816093547:WARNING:Short domain name not specified. Defaulting to 'xxx-yyy'
20120816093557:WARNING:Ignoring pam service vmware-authd because 32bit pam libraries                                         are not available on this system
20120816093557:WARNING:Ignoring pam service vmware-authd because 32bit pam libraries                                         are not available on this system
SUCCESS

i Have this Errors put then is possible to add a USER from my Domain xxx-yyy

What have this Errors, why i loss my Domain sometimes in the vSphere Client

I hope someone can help me

thanks

TWSS

0 Kudos