VMware Cloud Community
misheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter Linux Appliance

I have heard about the Vcenter Linux Appliance but I am not sure where to download it and I have searvhed on the Appliance page but I cannot find it. Can someone provide me a link to download the appliance?

Also will the Linux Appliance be much better than my current Windows 2008 vCENTER? I am currently limited to only 8 Gig of ram on my machine and thats running Esxi5, Win 2008 with Vcenter, Win 2003 AD and hopefully 5Win Xp VMs for study purposes. So will switching from a Win 2008 based Vcenter to Linux based Vcenter offer any performance benefit because currently the memory usage on the Win 2008 Vcenter is constanly at above 90% and I have allocated 2gig of ram?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KVester
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/vc50/dHRAYnQldEBiZHBqaA==

You will need to log in and accept the EULA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KVester
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/vc50/dHRAYnQldEBiZHBqaA==

You will need to log in and accept the EULA

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi misheck

vCenter VA need 8GB RAM !!!

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

misheck wrote:

Also will the Linux Appliance be much better than my current Windows 2008 vCENTER? I am currently limited to only 8 Gig of ram on my machine and thats running Esxi5,

The linux VM is MUCH better and faster, it has some limits, but it is capable of 1000 VM's / 100 hosts (don't believe the documentation that says otherwise).  It is pre-configured to use 8GB of RAM, maybe you can tweak it, but I have seen it use as much as 6GB, so not much room to move there.

If you want to use it you have to start ALL over (no, not kidding).  you also can't use MS Sql server, it MUST be Oracle).  However you can use the embedded DB which is where that 100 host/1000 VM limit comes in, otherwise it has no limitations.

Some plug-ins will not work but Update manager works just fine.

mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vast majority of VMware's addon products do not work with it - e.g. Chargeback, CapIQ, vCloud director, etc.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
misheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your replies. So in other words if my server can only take a max of 8 gig of ram ideally I would need another server to run Vcenter? Is there any other solution I can do because most of the software is for testing purposes so the max VM's I will have is running simultaneously is 7. 1 Esxi Host, Win 2003 x64 with AD +DNS Server, 1 Win 2008 with Vcenter + SQL and  5 win Xp VM? I also thought Vmware Over Commit would allow me to at least at another 3 or 4gig of ram over the actual physical ram.

I am more interested in finishing of my MCSA but I am administering, deploying and configuring VM's on Esxi server so I have decided to learn Virtualisation along the way as it is the future hence my setup is a combination of a more Microsoft study and everything VMware setup.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Windows-based vCenter runs fine (for small envs) in 2-3GB.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
misheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks I will run it on probably 3gig.

0 Kudos
mrawesome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dropped our memory allocation for it back to 2GB. 8GB is ridiculous and the only time it seems to need it is on startup. I have a small virtual environment though, so it might be different for larger system.

0 Kudos