VMware Cloud Community
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter Guest/Host Permissions

Hi

I have a number of virtual machine users that need to be able to see which host a guest is running on. I am currently setting virtual machine user permissions on a folder level and adding their vms to their folder. However VMuser does not have the rights to see which host a guest is sitting on. Yes I can give the same user read access to all the hosts that his guest may run on and then it works. However if they change from vm and template view to the hosts and clusters view they then see all the vm's running on the hosts.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If they can access the VMs under ther folder they will be able to see what host the VM is running on - on the summary tab

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No they cannot -if you give the user vmuser access on the folder level they do NOT get to see thehost in the summary page. Unless you give them read-only rights on the host (in the hosts and clusters view) 

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure if its brilliant, but it works Smiley Wink

Make sure you uncheck "Propagate to Child Object" when assigning the Read-Only permission to the host.  The user will not be able to see the Virtual Machines assigned to that host.

0 Kudos