VMware Cloud Community
dagn46
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter 4: manage esx 3.5 & 4 ??

Hi all,

Vcenter 4 can manage at same time (and in a same cluster ?) ESX 3.5 & ESX 4 ?!

Thanks Smiley Happy

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Yes its both possible, you might want to have a look at the upgrade guide.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Possible but not supported by vmware.

VCenter installes 64 bit agents on the host.

I would not manage ESX 3.5 host with vcenter4.

Upgrade path is:

1.) Vcenter Upgrade

2.) VUM Update

3.) Host Update

4.) VMTools and VM Hardware Upgrade

Good Luck!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
bigdee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I think it should be no problem to manage ESX 3.5 hosts with vCenter 4.

According to the documentation it is also supported by VMware: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I disagree with this,

vCentre 4 will absolutely manage ESX 3 hosts without any problems and is FULLY supported by Vmware.

If you follow the upgrade guide it actually tells you the sequecne is VC, then hosts . . but specifies NO timeline!

you can upgrade your VC and take as l;ong as you like to upgrade you 3i / 3.5 hosts.

you can even run your 3.x hosts side by side with the ESX4 hosts in the same clusters and continue to vMotion HA etc.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

For the record, ESX 3.5x hosts can be managed with VC 4.0. This is supported by VMware.

However, ESX 4.0 hosts can't be managed with VC 2.5x. This has never been a supported configuration.

Thanks.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

0 Kudos
sebcler
Contributor
Contributor

Running 3.5 host with 4 in vc 4 works like a charm. It's true that you can have 3.5 host and 4 in the same ckuster with vmotion and HA as long as you don't update the virtual hardware. Once you update the vm to version 7, you can't roll back and they can't be manage by 3.5 host. First thing first, read the upgrade guide.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

0 Kudos
DaltonDurden
Contributor
Contributor

Are the GUI controls for Storage vMotion features available in vCetner 4 when managing 3.5 hots? 

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Yes they are there in the GUI.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos