VMware Cloud Community
SoftComSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter 4.1 will not start Error Code 2

After a power failure, my Vcenter wont start the Vcenter server service.

The vpxd log states:

ODBC error: (28000) - [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'Domain\DomainAdmin'.
Error getting configuration info from the database
[Vpxd::ServerApp::Init] Init failed: VpxdVdb::Init(VpxdVdb::GetVdb(), false, false)
Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...
Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

After several reboots and trial and error I still can't get it to start.

Went through this one:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100392...

But no where does it state what I could do about the login failed issue to the sql.

Info: The VC& Sql is running on the same machine, and has workled for over 1½ year.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SoftComSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Weirdest thing, in my Sql via the mangement studio express the VIM_VCDB is stated with a (Suspect) behind it. What should I do about that ?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Try run test of connection via ODBC. May this user dont have permission enough to connect in DB of vcenter.

or you can do a follow test:

Add the local SQL Server as a dependency to the VirtualCenter Server service.  Perform the following on the VirtualCenter Server.

1)      Start Regedit

2)      Browse to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd

3)      Double Click the DependOnService value name

4)      Add the SQL Service key name to the list of services

a.       By default this is MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM

5)      Click Ok

6)      Restart the computer

More Information:

You can view the list of dependencies via the Services MMC.  Below is a screen shot showing the newly added SQL Server (SQLEXP_VIM) instance as a dependency of VirtualCenter Server.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

LinkedIn

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
SoftComSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did that, but as you can see above it seems like the sql db has become suspect, and not beign a sql tech I am not sure how to proceed in fixing the db so it can be mounted again.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you already do a test with dependecie of services that i passed for you and don´t works.

You can check this kb Microsoft, may help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216848/en-us

Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos para resposta "helpful" e ou "correta".
Se a sua pergunta foi respondida, marque como "Answered" para fechar o tópico.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

Lamw,
I do a test :
doing vmotion VMID  changed.
LinkedIn
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have space on that drive?  This seems more of a sql issue at this point, and I've seen a few docs through a search to recover suspect database.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
SoftComSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are over 50 GB left to spare so that isnt the problem.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You could open sql mgmt studio, query analyzer, run the below and execute the query.

use master
sp_resetstatus <db_name>

That should do it.  If not, you'll have to run through some other procedures.

-KjB
vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
SoftComSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fixed it by doing this as a sql command:

EXEC sp_resetstatus 'VIM_VCDB';
ALTER DATABASE VIM_VCDB SET EMERGENCY
DBCC checkdb('VIM_VCDB')
ALTER DATABASE VIM_VCDB SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
DBCC CheckDB ('VIM_VCDB', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)
ALTER DATABASE VIM_VCDB SET MULTI_USER

It fixed about 7 errors in the DB, and my Vcenter service can now start.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos