VMware Cloud Community
baubau01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter 4.1 Update to 4.1 Update 1 lost ESX hosts

Hi guys,

As planned to upgrade all the ESX to ESXi 4.1 Update 1, I started with Vcenter first. Everthing went smooth but it looks like it lost access to the old DB ?

What is there to do now ?

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from you screen shot, and the size of the VIM_VCDB, it appears you used the existing DB, but decided to overwrite it, therefore starting with a blank vCenter instance.

How many ESX(i) hosts?  Not the end of the world, even if you don't have a backup.  You can always recreate your infrastructure again, and then "add host" to the inventory.  You'll lose all historical data, but your Hosts and guests will not have been affected by the wipe of the DB

You are using the bundled SQL Express, correct?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

....but it looks like it lost access to the old DB ?

what do yo mean by lost access to the old DB?  You have a backup?  During your upgade you chose to use existing and not start from scratch?  Your new "upgrade" the vCenter Inventory is blank?

0 Kudos
baubau01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i did not see the selection to upgrade or start new. If I said start new did that delete the DB ?

0 Kudos
baubau01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I still have this .....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure on the exact verbiage, but during the install you will be asked to choose your DB, during that process you'll have a drop down with your ODBC connection.  If you chose to start from scratch, your inventory will be blank.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from you screen shot, and the size of the VIM_VCDB, it appears you used the existing DB, but decided to overwrite it, therefore starting with a blank vCenter instance.

How many ESX(i) hosts?  Not the end of the world, even if you don't have a backup.  You can always recreate your infrastructure again, and then "add host" to the inventory.  You'll lose all historical data, but your Hosts and guests will not have been affected by the wipe of the DB

You are using the bundled SQL Express, correct?

0 Kudos
baubau01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I only have 10 hosts. I don`t remember seing that option to start with a new db or upgrade the old one... So if by mistake that new one was selected it actually overwrited the old one ?

No big deal for 11 hosts as we don`t care about the history that much.

0 Kudos
baubau01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks troy I added them manually. It looks like when I try to install Update manager it gives me that message with updating db or create a new one and then an error.

0 Kudos