VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

Vcenter 4.0 U4 upgrade

Hi,

I have Vcenter 4.0 U3 in my environment and as U4 is been released, I would be upgrading it to U4. I have downloaded the iso. Can anyone please help me in upgrading. I would need help in some documentation related to this upgrade.

P.S. I have vcenter server with U3 and on the same server I am thinking of upgrading it to U4

Thanks.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as you have the DB backed up prior to the upgrade, you should be in good shape.  When going through the install wizard, when you get to a point where the wizards asks for a DB, ensure you select "use existing" (or some words to that affect).

As for DB compatibility for vCenter 4.1, see below

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php

There is atleast one 32bit SQL Server that is compatible.

If you do not know the Product Version select 'Any'.

Version:
2. Add Database

Add database to the matrix to see if they are compatible with the VMWare product selected in Step 1.

Do not show empty rows
DatabaseVMware vCenter Server 4.1
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition (SP2) -32-bitcompatible

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

on a high level, it's very easy. Mount the install media and follow the prompts.  Prior to the upgrade ensure you have a full backup of your vCenter DB.  Other than that, the upgrade is pretty straight forward.

With that said, at some point you'll need to start looking to going to 4.1 and above.  4.1 and above is 64bit based so you'll need an OS that is 64bit.

beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

yeah, You are correct but my DB is not supported for Vcenter 4.1, its with 64bit os but 32bit db. As of now I am looking for U4.

What I understood that I have to mount the iso and go with the gui, do I have to make any valuable check/uncheck while upgrading or anything apart from DB backup. I would appreciate your answer. Thanks

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as you have the DB backed up prior to the upgrade, you should be in good shape.  When going through the install wizard, when you get to a point where the wizards asks for a DB, ensure you select "use existing" (or some words to that affect).

As for DB compatibility for vCenter 4.1, see below

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php

There is atleast one 32bit SQL Server that is compatible.

If you do not know the Product Version select 'Any'.

Version:
2. Add Database

Add database to the matrix to see if they are compatible with the VMWare product selected in Step 1.

Do not show empty rows
DatabaseVMware vCenter Server 4.1
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition (SP2) -32-bitcompatible
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

Thanks SIR, Its sad I have Oracle 10g 10.0.3.0 32 bit, Not sure about standard or enterprise version. I wl confirm in a little while, One more thing if my db is not supported for any reason I will prompt me compatability error, isn't?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't believe you get an error exactly like "this DB is not supported for vCenter...." ,but you should get some sort of error, or the install may just fail.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

okie, thanks. I would have the check and confirm you people here. Thanks so much

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos