VMware Cloud Community
jrichardsonfdh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSphere licensing question

I tried to find this answer on the web but could not.

I know each CPU has to have a license assigned to it. So if I have a server with two CPU's they both haveto be licensed. But what if only one of those CPU's is licensed. Can I still run virtual machines on it? And they will only recognize one processor? Or will nothing work at all untill I license the other processor? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Licensing a dual CPU server is not about installing two different keys corresponding to two different licences. A single key has a certain number of licences associated with it. You might have three dual CPU servers, and will be provided one key capable of servicing six CPUs.

If a server has two CPUs, license designated as single CPU will fail to install, and you won't be able to get out of the trial period.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Licensing a dual CPU server is not about installing two different keys corresponding to two different licences. A single key has a certain number of licences associated with it. You might have three dual CPU servers, and will be provided one key capable of servicing six CPUs.

If a server has two CPUs, license designated as single CPU will fail to install, and you won't be able to get out of the trial period.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Josh said - it will fail to work - You can pull the physical CPU out of box and place it on shelf and reinstall when you get a second license -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jrichardsonfdh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok that makes sense, thank you very much.

0 Kudos