VMware Cloud Community
Buddhi01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VR with Vsphere 5.1 Essentials Plus

My Client is going to purchase 2 servers and each server has 2 processors. And he is going to purchase vsphere 5.1 essentials pack. but the thing is he is going to locate one server in one location and the other server is in another remote location. both servers can be connected using a VPN. now he needs to the following things. please explain me whether these things can be done.
1. he needs to manage both servers using a single VCenter.
2. he is not going to purchase any external storage. instead of that he is going to use the internal storage. and he needs to implement storage appliance to make a cluster between both two servers.
3. he needs to use VR for replication. (from one server to another) without using the SRM. he is going to use the bundled feature (VR) in essentials plus pack.
4. he needs to setup 20 VMs in one server and the same servers in the other server. if one server goes down then he needs to use the remote server as the production server.
thank you. please update me asap.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Buddhi01 wrote:

Thanks for the reply bro...another thing i need to ask from you, Can i configure the vsphere storage appliance between 2 servers those are in different loccations?

Or can i do the replication without having storage appliance? I mean only using the internal server storage?

Yes you can... that is what VR is all about.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, you can do this configuration.  However as we are using one vCenter server , recovery of virtual machine will be manual. For example, once the primary site goes down along with vCenter server and vSPhere Replication appliance, then you to create  virtual machine on remote site  and use existing replicated disk from it and power On the VMs.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
Buddhi01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. but can i install the VR without SRM? because it depends on the SRM. am i correct?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Buddhi01 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. but can i install the VR without SRM? because it depends on the SRM. am i correct?

As of vSphere 5.1 there is no need any longer to install SRM to use VR. VR is part of vSphere 5.1 itself and can be used/configured through the Web Client. I wrote some basic install/configure/use tips here:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2012/09/17/back-to-basics-install-configure-and-use-vsphere-replication...

Buddhi01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply bro...another thing i need to ask from you, Can i configure the vsphere storage appliance between 2 servers those are in different loccations?

Or can i do the replication without having storage appliance? I mean only using the internal server storage?

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

As  Duncan said that  you dont need SRM,  this mean you save licsense   fee for SRM. Also here is VMware blog for stanalone vSPhere Replication

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/08/srm-5-1-and-vsphere-replication-as-a-standalone-feature.html

Also Duncan blog is good for configuration of vSPhere Replication

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Main feature of vSphere Replication is , you can do replication from local storage to any other storage like remote SAN. Also from SAN to SAN.

Yes you can do replication from one local host to remote host. You dont need replication software since vSPhere replication takee care of it.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Buddhi01 wrote:

Yes you can... that is what VR is all about.

0 Kudos