VMware Cloud Community
sandsfootgroup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vSphere ESXi Dump Collector 6.7 Update 1 Configuration

Hello All

I'm struggling to find where you configure the port / repository max size / service startup for the VMware vSphere ESXi Dump Collector (6.7 update 1) in the HTML interface?

It still exists in the FLEX (flash): vSphere Web Client - Home / Administration / System Configuration / Services /  VMware vSphere ESXi Dump Collector.

I thought the HTML5 client was fully featured?

Many thanks

Tony

12 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

You can do it using ESXCLI Configure ESXi Dump Collector with ESXCLI

0 Kudos
sandsfootgroup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike

Thanks for replay, but what you suggested is configuring the ESXi host and where the host 'sends' the core dump, what I'm looking for is the vCenter configuration, essentially the 'receiver' configuration.

Regards

Tony

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

My fauld.

Did you tried to connect to VCSA and go to Home > Administration > SystemConfiguration > Services > VMware vSphere ESXi Dump Collector?

0 Kudos
sandsfootgroup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

That's the point of my question - I cannot find the 'services' section in the HTML client.  Services is there in the older / flash (flex) vsphere client, but I can't find it in the new HTML 'fully featured' client. 

Below are screenshots of the same vCenter server, FLEX vs HTML

FLEX VSPHERE CLIENT:

vsphere-client.jpg

HTML CLIENT:

html-client.jpg

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

I found the services in VAMI UI
pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
sandsfootgroup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike

Thanks again - the services in VMAI don't have any configuration attached to them - you can stop/start.... but you cannot configure ESXi Dump collector, nor can you change the start-up type.

The other article is referencing forwarding of Syslog in the FLEX / FLASH vSphere Web Client interface, not the HTML one.

Regards

Tony

0 Kudos
norgemauli
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for asking this, because I just got mad trying to find it. I am now on vSphere 6.7 U3 (December Patch) and I can't find these settings either. When will this be implemented?

The significance in my opinion is, you go to VAMI enable it and the next time you patch your Appliance, the service is turned off. Now you don't have your dumps the next time something happens, because there is no way to edit the startup policy.

0 Kudos
mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The lack of service startup control and access to the service settings has been reported in the latest RC for the current beta. Advice was that engineering is aware of the issue and that will be addressed in a future release.

0 Kudos
sshuck
Contributor
Contributor

So 7.0 GA is released and there is no more Flex client. Still, there doesn't appear to be any way to change the startup type? Anybody ever come up with a solution to this?

mc1903cae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sshuck Sorry I have not found a solution yet and I don't have the ability to open a Production SR to ask support for their advice.

Holding out hope for it appearing in v7.0 Update 1.

0 Kudos
DanielLuebbe
Contributor
Contributor

Just got off the phone with a really nice guy from VMware support. He pointed me to this blog post which is still valid for VCSA 7.0.

https://virtuallyvtrue.com/2020/01/03/how-to-change-the-startup-setting-of-services-in-vcenter-serve...

Yes, it's not in the UI but it will do the job.

Maybe helpful for some of you...

0 Kudos