VMware Cloud Community
PSorokin
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter datastore performance tab issue

Hi everybody,

vCenter Performance tab chart for Storage by File Type shows some numbers (e.g. 146GB on 1TB storage) for “other”, which is different than “Other VM files”. Any clue what that stuff is?

vCenter help tells that Other is "Amount of disk space used by all other non-virtual machine files, such as documentation files and backup files.” I checked the datastorage and didn't found anything that looks like "non-virtual machine files, such as documentation files and backup files”. There are only VM directories created through vCenter and LabManager.

I made a list of file extensions contained in that storage:

vmdk

vmsd

hlog

log

nvram

png

vmsn

vmss

vmx

vmxf

vswp

nvram

Snapshot

sf

I could only think that some *.vmdk files could be unused (not sure, though) and they don't sum up to the "Other" numbers.

Does anyone know how that "other" value is calculated?

Regards,

Pavel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which Version of DB you have installed ?

You use the port default to connect in DB ?

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
PSorokin
Contributor
Contributor

Installed DB is Microsoft SQL server 2005, default configuration, default ports

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> Does anyone know how that "other" value is calculated?

Other is anything that is not a VM ware file or a registered VM. If you have a VM and the vmdk becomes orphaned, that will also become "other", since it's not in inventory. so probably other is a file that's not part of the CURRENT VM inventory, registered vmx file or anything associated with VM's in the vCenter list.

Hence "other".

0 Kudos
PSorokin
Contributor
Contributor

so probably other is a file that's not part of the CURRENT VM inventory, registered vmx file or anything associated with VM's in the vCenter list.

Storage filled with the booth vCenter and LabManager VM's.

LabManager VM's have a chain of vmdk files. Is that chain vmdk calculating like "other"?

0 Kudos