VMware Cloud Community
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vCenter Server Install 5.5, Hangs

After installing SSO, Web-Client, Inventory Services, then configured all the settings for vCenter Server and hit install at the last portion all I get is the following has hung there for over half hour no movement!!??

Anyone has had similar issues?

62.gif

Thank you, Express
31 Replies
pvillebound
Contributor
Contributor

I have 1) Enable the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services "Role" from Server Manager 2012 R2 - skip the LDS setup.  I cannot find the OCSetup.exe file. 

0 Kudos
mcse-tony
Contributor
Contributor

You will need to copy ocsetup.exe from a Server 2012 or 2008/R2 installation.  OCSetup.exe is deprecated and no longer part of 2012R2.  VCenter 5.5 requires OCSetup.exe for the scripted setup.

You can download a trial version of Server 2012 from Microsoft and extract the file from the ISO.

0 Kudos
pvillebound
Contributor
Contributor

First I enabled the Active Directory Lightweight Services "Role" from the Server Manager 2012 R2, then I copied the OCSetup.exe from a Windows 2008 Server download from Microsoft.  When I get to the vCenter Install it still hangs on Installing Directory Services.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
mcse-tony
Contributor
Contributor

You will need 64-bit version from 2012.  Get from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2kywlhip9iafwj/ocsetup.exe

pvillebound
Contributor
Contributor

That worked just great!!  Thanks for all your help!!!

0 Kudos
fgomes_zetes
Contributor
Contributor

Spot on! Worked like a charm (running 2012R2 domain joined)

0 Kudos
IjonTichy
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm as well that the ocsetup.exe from mcse-tony did the job.

I've got vCenter 5.5 running on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard with a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express database.

It seems I'm getting random "hiccups" from the Update Manager in conjunction with the vSphere Client. I'm still investigating if that is related to the update from vSphere 4.1 or is caused by something else.

So, thank you guys! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The steps mcse-tony gave, worked like a champ. Thanks all who contributed to solving this problem.

A BIG Thx!!!!! Smiley Happy

Mike_A
0 Kudos
anthonynjoroge
Contributor
Contributor

The workaround includes

1. Uninstall all components that you installed (except SQL)
  2. Get the following files from %windir%\system32\ on a Windows 2012 server OS
    1. OCSetup.exe
    2. OCSetup.dll
  3. Copy the files to your %windir%\system32\ Windows 2012 R2
  4. Ensure your Service account also has local admin rights to the server you are installing
  5. Open the VMware Vcenter CD and on autorun right-click and go to “troubleshoot compatibility”. The Troubleshoot compatibility will take you back to Windows 8 compatibility. Save the option
  6. Righ-click the autorun icon again and “run as administrator” and go through the installation
0 Kudos
LouisNdjouou
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is solved. you need to get the OCsetup.exe file from either 2008 or 2012.

below is   link to get the ocsetup file

Dropbox - ocsetup.exe

0 Kudos
ticolocoro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

All these issues are solved with the latest vCenter version 5.5 update 2. Installation works smoothly on Windows Server 2012 R2 edition.

I did not encountered any issues with these versions of OS and software, although I had same problems when installing old version of vCenter.

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor

Is VMware allowing trial versions of vCenter yet?  I'm trying to set up my lab and was wondering if they've solved the issue since going from 5.1 to 5.5.

0 Kudos