VMware Cloud Community
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vCenter Server Install 5.5, Hangs

After installing SSO, Web-Client, Inventory Services, then configured all the settings for vCenter Server and hit install at the last portion all I get is the following has hung there for over half hour no movement!!??

Anyone has had similar issues?

62.gif

Thank you, Express
31 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you hit issues when installing vCenter Server.

Can you please provide the following info so we could help you to trouble shoot:

Windows OS info with version, like Win 2008 R2 etc; DB, installer version.

Thanks,

-Peifeng Li

0 Kudos
SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please upload the logs under %Temp%.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Server 2012

SQL Server 2012

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you get chance to find the vminst.log under %Temp% fold? If so, please upload and we can help to take a look your root cause. Assuming you are using the simple installer on your VM or physical host and the VM and host have enough memory and disk. In addition, is the SQL Server 2012 accessible using DSN so that VCDB can be created on.

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi I am using custom install using a 2012 Server with 32 gb of memory and plenty of disk space. DSN has been created and I am able to access the database before installing vcenter. The database server is a SQL 2012 server. (All are physical servers no vm's)

All components install like a charm until the last step of the vcenter server, the screen in the first post becomes stale, when i check the VC services it just stays as Starting... then if i test the DSN it will not work I will not be able to get connected to the database.

SQL 2012 server is part of a windows clustering, also on the sql 2012 server the feature "Always On" is enabled, according to our dba though the VC database is not setup for "Always On". Are there any requirements i should be aware of trying to do this install? Is it a Microsoft Cluster issue? Is it a SQL 2012 issue??

I need to know what needs to be enabled or disables or modified on either the SQL server or the way the SQL server is set up on the Windows Clustering.

Suggestions? Is anyone else encountering this same issue? I have a support ticket open, but all i am being told is to call them back once i get the connection back to the sql server!! Great Help! VMware Support!!

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is this a win 2012 R2?

Can you please help to upload all vminst.log file in %temp% dir?

Regards.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I meant to say "the vminst.log file".

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Another thing worth to try is to install on a SQL 2012 single instance db first (non-cluster) so that we can narrow down if this is a cluster setup issue or not. Would you please try?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please confirm if your setup is a Windows 2012 R2, which is not supported.

Otherwise you may want to re-try using SQL 2012 standalone so we could narrow down the issue. Please upload the vminst.log.

0 Kudos
dnauck
Contributor
Contributor

If this is a Windows Server 2012 R2 then the setup is waiting to execute the OCSetup.exe that is not longer available in Win 2012R2.

As workaround you can copy OCSetup.exe from Win 2008 or Win 2012 into %windir%\system32\ and install the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services by hand before executing the vCenter setup.

This worked for me.

FedericoAlves
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to install Vcenter 5.5 on Windows 2012 R2. I followed the instructions, copied ocsetup.exe and installed Active Directory Light Weight Directory Services, The box is not joined to a Domain.

Well, the installation wen through, but now when I try to login, it says "You don't have permission to log into the server".

Any idea how can the administrator of the box give himself permission to use Vcenter?

0 Kudos
mcse-tony
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dnauck, that worked out quite well:

1) Enable the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services "Role" from Server Manager 2012 R2 - skip the LDS setup

2) Copy the OCSETUP.EXE from a 2012 Server to the local Windows\System32 folder

3) Run vCenter Server Setup

Works in a Domain, have not tested in standalone.

maryhambre
Contributor
Contributor

@dnauck

Like a Charm dnauck!!!... very thXXXX!!!

I'm instaling on WS2012 R2...

0 Kudos
mcse-tony
Contributor
Contributor

@FedericoAlves

You need to logon using the Account and password you specified during setup  (default is administrator@vshpere.local).

Once you have logged in, you may go to permssions and add other accounts.

ghaith
Contributor
Contributor

Tank you mcse-tony

also tested On Standolone Windows Server 2012 R2

0 Kudos
pvillebound
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with installing vCenter 5.5 on my Windows 2012 R2 Server.  I am moving from Windows Server 2003 so I do not have a 2008 or 2012 server around to copy the OCSetup.exe from.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
ghaith
Contributor
Contributor

See mcse-tony Post

you can install Vcenter 5.5 in Windows Server 2012 R2

0 Kudos
pvillebound
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried.  The install hangs when trying to install directory services.

0 Kudos
ghaith
Contributor
Contributor

Have you copied OCSetup.exe??

and make your current logged account is admin

gpedit.msc => log on as service for this account

0 Kudos