VMware Cloud Community
GarySmith72
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Embedded Database (IBM DB2 / PostgreSQL)

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help.  We currently have a system that connects directly to the VMWare vCenter database on Microsoft SQL Server to retrieve information regarding host to virtual guest mapping (among other things) from a C# application using ADO.NET.  The application we use can connect to any database engine which has an ADO.NET Provider, which includes Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2 and PostgreSQL for example, but it needs to connect to the database directly across the network over TCP/IP.

So the question is, is it possible to connect directly to the embedded IBM DB2 and/or PostgreSQL database within a vCenter appliance across the network (i.e. not to SSH onto the box and run remote commands) to be able to query it?

I understand that the VMWare preferred option would be to utilise the vSphere Web Services SDK, but we would like to try and use our existing facilities without having to re-engineer them if possible.

Any guidance that can be provided in this regard would be most helpful.

Thanks

Gary

-=-

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

For PostgreSQL you can refer to http://pubs.vmware.com/vfabric5/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vfabric.hyperic.4.6/Set_Up_PostgreSQL.ht... (sections "Configure PostgreSQL Server Options" and "Configure Client Authentication"). It's not a detailed guide but it's a good start 🙂

0 Kudos