VMware Cloud Community
warrenwalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware software + Windows installations - Am i alone?

Is it just me or does anyone else have issues with VMware installations of Virtual Centre and VMware Converter/ Upgrade Manager? I always seem to get the Windows installer splashscreen when trying to run the setup of most VMware products and then have to frig the install via the cmd prompt. This has occured on multiple servers during my time with VMware software. Please tell me im not alone. I had a late night last night and i feel like a good whine.

Cheers,

Warren

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What have you had to do? The installer has worked for me without a problem -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
warrenwalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try to run the autorun.exe and get the Windows installer 3.01 splashscreen showing me command syntax. Try to run vmware-vcserver.exe - get the same issue. Trying to install Virtual Centre 2.5 Update 2 on Windows Server 2003 R2 32 bit with DEP disabled and running as the local admin.

0 Kudos
alasdair_carnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Warren,

Is this a problem with installing VC or VUM? I've had a few problems with VUM, but these were casused by the VC service not responding or by ip/name resolution issues. My problems with VC install were permissions related. I tried installing VC using a dedicated service account instead of admin and VC install failed.

Alasdair....

alasdair_carnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed VC 2.5 U2 on a Windows 2003 R2 32bit a couple of days ago and it worked no problem. The only difference I can see is that I didn't disable DEP. Did you download the .ISO image or the Zip file? I'm wondering if your file is corrupted.

warrenwalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My opening post was a general whine really because not long ago i had to frig update manager because of the similar issue. I had to create a log file during the install which finally after much frustration kicked the install in to life.

At the moment its a Virtual Center installation. Ignore my post;- I wasnt logged in as local admin! SCHOOLBOY ERROR! Thanks for your help though Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
alasdair_carnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Baaaaaaaaaaad Boy. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos