VMware Cloud Community
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated unexpectedly.

Hi,

I have a Vsphere client 4.0 setup ( Build# 162856) and i was managing the ESX 4.0 host (Build# 148592) for past 3 months.

All of sudden, i couldnt connect to the Client. it throws the following error "vShpere Server couldnot connect with vSphere client" A Connection failure occured.

In the system event log it says " VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated unexpectedly .It has done this 100 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in

300000 milliseconds: Restart the service"

By Default, vcenter services is not running. so i started the services and tried to connect the vsphere client . But vCenter service is stopped immediately.

Note: ihave tried to restart the SQL Server(SQLEXPRESS) and SQL EXP_VIM services aswell. but didnt help.

how to resolve this issue?. any help would be highly appreciated.

THanks,

kamal

PS: Found some other thread with the same issue but that is with the Oracle DB. admitting myself as a newbie to the DB area,step by step approach help would be highly invited.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

But sometimes, SQL Server may not have set Autogrowth enabled for its databases. Please configure your SQL server database file ( for VC database) and its log file to enable Autogrowth.

Thanks!

**if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For ESX 4.0, please use build no. 171294.

After this, please try to restart the SQL services and then VC services.

Also, did the IP of the machine, on which VC is installed, change recently? Are you using VUM or any other solutions? If yes, is VUM installed on same machine?

Thanks.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope.

I cant update to the latest ESXhost as well as Vcenter . I have critical plugin setup which iam afarid it wont work after updating. I need it for the demo purpose.( so i dont want to disturb)

In this case, is there any work around without distrubing the setup?

BTW, having said, i have done the SQL services/VC services restart many times.( even machine reboot also.. ) didnt help.

Note: If you start VC services then it will run for 5 sec and after that services will be stopped.

Anwser to your question:

1. No i didnt change the IP of the machine recently.

2. No . I am not using any VUM or any other solutions.

Thanks,

kamal.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you got an Firewall or AV software installed on this machine?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope.. i dont have any firewall settings.

BTW, the setup was up and running for last 2 months. and all of sudden VC connection is broken.

Thanks,

kamal.

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you take a look at the vpxd.log files what error is indicated at the bottom of the log when you see the service crash? It should give you an indication of why it crashed.

Cheers,

/Jonathan

0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have downloaded the error log file by executing " Generate vCenter Server log Bundle -extended"

after extracting, it gives me the vpxd folder which has so many log files.

Anyways i have attached the vpxd log files. let me know if you need any other log files.

THanks for the response..

I need to recover the VC ASAP.

At worst case,i will reinstall the VC but my worry is it shouldnt be a blocking issue at the time of demo. I am trying to find the workaround.

Thanks,

kamal.

0 Kudos
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi natesan,

vpxd log shows that insert statement against VCDB is failing due to insufficent disk space where SQL Server is installed. Please free up some diskspace and try restarting the VirtualCenter Server service.

thanks!

**if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers**
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But 32 GB HDD space is left free.( ie i have enough space for DB nearly 32 GB)

0 Kudos
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

But sometimes, SQL Server may not have set Autogrowth enabled for its databases. Please configure your SQL server database file ( for VC database) and its log file to enable Autogrowth.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you please guide me to how to do? ( step by step approach)

Appreciate your reponse.

Thanks,

kamal.

0 Kudos
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Since your database name is " VIM_VCDB", I assume , you are running a VC with Bundled database (SQL Server 2005 Express) . Normally Bundled Database is suitable only for a small scale datacenter and it can hold a dataspace maximum upto 4 GB. If you reached this limit, you may need to either upgrade your database to an enterprise edition or purge your historical data.

To purge your hostorical data, you can refer to below KB article.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1000125&sl...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
knatesan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is really great.

Appreciate your contigous support.

Thanks,

kamal.

0 Kudos