VMware Cloud Community
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware VirtualCenter Server service does not start when VC machine restart

Is there any reason why VMware VirtualCenter Server service sometimes does not start when I restart Virtual Center machine?

Virtual Center is version 2.5.0.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
patrickds
Expert
Expert

Sometimes the VC service tries to start before the database is online, and fails.

If they're on the same machine, you can try adding a dependency for the vcenter service.

If they're on separate machines, make sure your db server is up before starting the vcenter.

0 Kudos
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.

DB is on the same machine.

In the dependencies option I see this servise depends on the following system components:

- Protected storage

- Workstation

What shoud I do now?

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

use regedit

in hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services copy the name of the key for the vcenter sql dbase instance service (something like MSSQL$vim)

then open the key for the vcenter service (vpx), and edit the DependOnService value

add the SQL service name to the dependencies

biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do that and will see if it will happen again.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked the Event log on the server? I had this issue with SQL and was seeing an 'Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Resolution - regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Right-click Control, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

In the New Value #1 box, type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.

Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.

Click Decimal, type the number of milliseconds that you want to wait until

the service times out, and then click OK. Typically, a data value of 35,000 is

sufficient to keep the service from timing out. However, you can reduce or

increase this value according to your specific startup requirements. For

example, to wait 60 seconds before the service times out, type 60000.

biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, it seems's the respond from patrick resovle my problem becouse it did not happen again. If it does again, I will try your sugestion.

Anyway thanks a lot for helpfull answer Smiley Happy

Ante

0 Kudos
maxel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unfortunately we have the same problem,but our VC DB (MS SQL 2005) is on a different machine which is always up and running. If weboot the VC machine, the vcenter service fails to start. A manual start always work after that. Any ideas what we can do?

Tom

PS:I've read about the ServicesPipeTimeout thing,but i think this is more a workarround than a solution...

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You may want to try setting up a dependency on one of the network related services. In service manager check some of the other services that you expect rely are networking to see what dependies they have listed to determine what may be a suitable service to create the dependency on.

0 Kudos
maxel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That#s an idea..do you know a possibility to say: start vcenter service at last one?

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

You could set a dependency on every other autostarting service if you don't mind ugly solutions.

Normally you would set dependency on a service that is one of the last to start, check this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

Another way would be to set the service to manual, and start it on system start using a script from task scheduler that builds in a delay.

I used to have a VBscript i used for this purpose, in which different services could be configured to be started with different delays.

There are some freeware programs to be found as well, like http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

but i don't really know if they can be used to delay services.

0 Kudos