VMware Cloud Community
cgb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware VirtualCenter Server fails on startup

Hi all,

I'm having this issue on two Virtual Center servers now (Update 2). When Windows 2003 boots, and just after presenting the login screen, I get a message:

"At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use event viewer to examine the event log for details"

Reviewing the list of automatic, but not started services in the Services window, I see that VMWare VirtualCenter Server is not started. Right clicking and selecting Start results in it starting successfully.

Reviewing the Event Viewer -> System section, I see an error "The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2)."

The VirtualCenter service is configured to run as 'Local System Account' (default setting by the install). I have tried configuring the 'Log On' setting to the local administrator and password (this Windows install is not joined to the domain). I still get the service failing on startup.

I am using VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2 (VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-104263.zip) together with the default SQL Express 2005 database. The VC server itself is running as a VM. I can't find any one else having the same problems, but I've got it happening on two servers now! Smiley Happy

Can anyone provide advice on debugging this?

Thanks,

Chris Bennett (cgb)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Chris..

To me it sounds like the VC service tries to start before the local SQL EXpress is up and running.... You could try to add the SQL Express service as a dependency, which would make the VC service wait until this is started.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

/Rubeck

cgb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ohh ...this guide may be easier

/RubeckHi Rubeck,

Thank you for your prompt response - I got distracted with some customer work so I've only just had a chance to review your suggestion. It has resolved my issue.

For anyone else that might be reading this, and using SQL Server 2005 Express, the Windows service name is actually MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM. So in registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd\DependsOnService, add the above service name instead of MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT.

Thanks again Rubeck! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Chris Bennett (cgb)

0 Kudos
jaikrit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks It solves my problem too!

Jaikrit Negi

(VCP,BCFP,SCSA)

Jaikrit Negi (VCP, NCDA, BCFP, SCSA) If you find this response useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
jaikrit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jaikrit Negi

(VCP,BCFP,SCSA)

Jaikrit Negi (VCP, NCDA, BCFP, SCSA) If you find this response useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
sasar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

in my case problem was on security permissions on database.

Database is on other SQL server and SQL admin changed permissions.

When it was working user for database was SysAdmin, he changed user to be administrator only on vmware database - and it fails on startup !

What permissions are on your databases, since it is stupid that this user is admin on all databases on that SQL server?

0 Kudos