VMware Cloud Community
JAMOS001
Contributor
Contributor

VMware VirtualCenter Server V4.0 service crashes when connecting to ESX V3.5

This is a little frustrating. I just built a new VCenter Server V4 and it connects to my ESX V4 host just fine. When I attempt to connect to an older ESX V3.5 the VCenter server service stops. This entry is logged in the event log:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VMware VirtualCenter Server

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 11/17/2009

Time: 8:13:42 AM

User: N/A

Computer: DCMSVSS001

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (23000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'dbo.VPX_VM_FLE_SNAPSHOT_DISK' with unique index 'VPX_VM_FLE_SNAPSHOT_DISK_U1'." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VPX_VM_FLE_SNAPSHOT_DISK WITH (ROWLOCK) (ID, SNAPSHOT_ID, DISK_KEY, VM_ID, UPDATE_KEY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)".

Then we get this information entry

Event Type: Information

Event Source: VMware VirtualCenter Server

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 11/17/2009

Time: 8:13:42 AM

User: N/A

Computer: DCMSVSS001

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now.

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JAMOS001,

this response probably won't help you anymore, so I'm just leaving this here for other people who might stumble over your question.

This issue is most likely the one that has been fixed in U1, see the release notes under:

"vCenter Server fails with database constraint violation error"

Please don't mix this up with other issues that sound similar ("Cannot insert duplicate key row in object") but are referencing another table.

Cheers

Valentin

0 Kudos
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos