VMware Cloud Community
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Update Manager

Hi,

I have de Windows 2K3 Ent. FR R2 SP2, i had installed MSSQL2000SP4, VirtualCenter 2.5

My server doesn't have internet Access.

How can i run VMware Update Manager? (the path had been downloaded from VMware.com)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Byron_Zhao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, Update Manager needs a Internet connection, and no, it doesn't have to have Internet connection.

In order to download patches, Update Manager needs Internet connection, if your Update Manager doesn't have Internet connection, you will need to use the Update Manager Download Service to download patches, export them to some removeable device like a CD, or USB flash drive and then import them to the Update Manager server.I think the exe file is vmware-umds. The machine that you run this command has to have Internet connection.

Hope it helps

-BZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nobody run VMware Update Manager ?

0 Kudos
serracon_suppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

finaly the UM needs a internet connection, direct or via a proxy. Period. (have not found any trick arround)

But: it has not neccessarily to be on the Machine with the VC on it (security concerns!). You can install UM in a seperate VM oder Server, if you like in a seperate Database, but you can also share Datebase with VC. This is up to you.

all that is needed is that the VC-Server and the VI-Clients (not sure about the clients) have access to the UM Server and the UM Server to VC. UM is then usable and updates ESX and VMs.

hope that helps.....

francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Update Manager need a Internet Connection ???

0 Kudos
Byron_Zhao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, Update Manager needs a Internet connection, and no, it doesn't have to have Internet connection.

In order to download patches, Update Manager needs Internet connection, if your Update Manager doesn't have Internet connection, you will need to use the Update Manager Download Service to download patches, export them to some removeable device like a CD, or USB flash drive and then import them to the Update Manager server.I think the exe file is vmware-umds. The machine that you run this command has to have Internet connection.

Hope it helps

-BZ

0 Kudos