VMware Cloud Community
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Update Manager Installation Issues ...

Hi all,

I installed VMware Update Manager (VUM) using the VC 2.5 Up3 evaluation(?) The installation went smoothly as I have read previous posters regarding the password, anti-virus issues, etc. But, I still have problem with the VUM client disconnected with VC.

But, the biggest issue I am facing is I did not have the option for "Update Manager" drop-out from VC "Plugins"??? Not sure what the problem is/are? I have checked the directory "C:\Doc and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate" and nothing is in there ... not even the *.XML file

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I believe what you are seeing is a known and documented issue.

See KB

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007099

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

You should check the vum-webserver-? and vmware-vci-? log files located in the Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs directory.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Troy. I have read the KB ... but that's not my main problem.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Try to manually run the update manager client install from the vc client media from the /vci directory on the root of that cd, the file is called vmware-umclient.exe After that's installed, you should be able to close/open the vi cleint, and go into the plugin manager and enable it from there.

You'll have to go in and create a baseline, and then the download should begin.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

KJB,

Yes, I just removed and re-installed Update Manger and client form VC ISO image. But, I still not have the "VMware Update Manager" --> "Schedule Update Download" option. However, I saw a bunch of folders in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate\esx\esx-3.5.0 So, VUM actually down loaded somehting ... but can not do any down load or update.

I gone a bit further this time that I could created a custome baseline "ESX Host Critical Patches" and filer only for ESX 3.5 which I could not do it before. But, when I attached a customed baseline and scan an ESX host. I got an error message "Patch metadata for <ESX IP Address" missing. Please download updates metadata first"

Well, I am not sure what "metadata" refer to?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have the plugin installed now? You can check by going to Plugins--Manage Plugins. You should see VUM. Check the installed tab and ensure there is a check mark new to VUM. You should have an update manager button. If so, click on that, go to scheduled tasks. and see if the task to download the updates has run yet. If not you can "run now". It may take a while, but once all the updates have been downloaded into your repository you will be able to scan you hosts.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

There should be a scheduled tasks button in your client. That is where the download task will be. Right-click on it and select run to start the download.

-KjB

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Metadata refers to a an xml file that contains the full file name list of updates and patches that are currently downloaded in the VUM file store.

The download is required and you have to configure that with the schedule component which is not working for you yet.

The last time I saw this behavior I was able to work around it by installing the VUM client onto a VC directly.

Then I could configure the schedule component from there.

I believe it was corrected by updating .net components on the client but I can't clearly recall it.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have the VUM plug-in enabled. And had the VUM button. Configured the "VMware Update Manager Update Download" to only down loading "ESX Server Updates" then force it to "Run". And I looked down at the VC "Recent Task" there are two tasks ran completed - they are "Run Scheduled Task" and "Update Signature".

But, when I scan the ESX host for update it still failed with the same error reference to "metadata". Which I checked and there is directories and files under the ..\VMware Update Manager\Data\Metadata directory?

Not sure what is going wrong here?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, next task is to click on an ESX server or cluster name, and you should now also see an update manager tab on the right hand side. Click on it, and attach a baseline that you've created to an ESX host. Now, when you scan, it will be against this baseline, and you should be good to go.

-KjB

0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I did just that ... attached the customized baseline which I only care about the "host critical patches to an ESX host and select "scan for update". After a few minutes (monitoring from VC tasks bar) I got the same error message "VMware Update Manager had a failure" ... clicking on the error it gave more information and reference "Patch metadata for 192.168.33.104 missing. Please download updates metadata first"

As a note, during the VUM installation, I changed the down load directory to E:\VMware Update Manager\Data. But, it still down loaded to the "default" directory. In this directory, I got about 3.5GB of data - note, I selected only down loading ESX 3.5. Since, it did not worked on the default down load dir ... I copy all the dir/file from the default down load dir to E:\VMware Update Manager\Data and "scan for update" on the ESX host ... same error. I think the VUM might be confused on where the "metadata" is?

Is there a way to check to make sure it get the right PATH to the metadata dir and others?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1) Do you see the vci-integrity.xml file located in c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure\vmware update manager\ ?

- if the file is missing it might explain the problem you are experiencing

- Remove Update Manager from Add/Remove Programs -> Delete the c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure\vmware update manager\ folder -> reinstall update manager -> reinitialize the database -> test to see if it's working

2) What happens when you set the update manager service to logon a a domain admin account rather than local system account?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

In your update manager install directory, there is a file called vci-integrity.xml Check the pachStore element, and see where that is pointing? It should be where the download exists. You should have two folders in the data folder, hostupdate and metadata, and then files underneath each.

-KjB

0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I checked the vci-integrity.xml file and found the "PatchStore" referenced the "default" down load directory.

Anyway, long story short, I attached the customized "Baseline" which only included critical ESX host then scan the ESX host again and it works this time???? The BAD part is ... I did not change anything. However, it only found 2 Not Compliant patches? I am running ESX 3.5 update 3 version and I believed we have more than two "critical patches. The two that listed are:

1. ESX350-2008-11408-BG

2. ESX350-2008-11409-BG

I will play with it some more and see if it still working.

Thanks all for your help and much appreciated.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
rodenis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem with the same version, I already checked the vci-integrity.xml fil, but my instalation is by default, I did not change the folder for download the updates

Do you remember how you solved it the problem?

Thanks !

0 Kudos