VMware Cloud Community
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Update Manager - Disabling reboots

Hi everyone

I would like to use VUM in a production environment. Initial tests are looking very good however I cant have the servers automatically rebooting after certain patch installation. Is there a way to disable these reboots and to perform them manually?

Also, I would like to schedule a remediation to happen daily on my template machines... a new scheduled tasks for remediation doesnt seem to have the schedule task option available, only seems to be able to run once??

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi everyone

I would like to use VUM in a production environment. Initial tests are looking very good however I cant have the servers automatically rebooting after certain patch installation. Is there a way to disable these reboots and to perform them manually?

Right now, you can't tell VUM to not reboot servers after installing patches. You can schedule the patches to install at a time when your servers can be rebooted.

0 Kudos
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that - I hoped that wasnt the answer Smiley Happy

Unfortunately the system will a 'live' 24/7 power management system that needs to be up and running all the time.. our scheduled outages for maintenance will not be static and the date/time could change frequently if the weather is bad etc etc... looks like I will configure manual remediation... do you know if this feature is in the pipe line?

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello Pomiwi, I am not sure how helpful this will be but can you just schedule the updates to run a time far into the future and then change it when when you know when you can take the server down?

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was kind of hoping I could schedule a task to automatically update my templates say every week on a friday.. it seems like this is not possible. I will just manually schedule outages a remediate them all manually, thanks for the reply

0 Kudos