VMware Cloud Community
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware SSO and Linked mode

Hi Guys,

We have once vCenter server 5.1 which was installed using the "vCenter Simple" installation method and now we are planning to install one more vCenter Server intance on different location.

I just wanted to confirm that , if I install this another vCenter server instance using the "vCenter Simple" installation process then will it be possible to configure the Linked mode between these two vCenter Server?

Or do I need to follow the multisite SSO installation process for Linked Mode configuration? If yes, Which steps I have to follow for successful deployment and configuration?

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just wanted to confirm that , if I install this another vCenter server instance using the "vCenter Simple" installation process then will it be possible to configure the Linked mode between these two vCenter Server?

Or do I need to follow the multisite SSO installation process for Linked Mode configuration? If yes, Which steps I have to follow for successful deployment and configuration?

No, another simple install would not allow this. You can only do Linked Mode between vCenters that are tied to the same logical SSO service.

This could be:

■ A single physical Single Sign-On server.
■ Two nodes of a cluster. Effectively this is the same as a single physical Single Sign-On server because the nodes use the same Single Sign-On database.
■ Two nodes in multisite mode.

Source: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.install.doc%2FGUID-C6F362AF-...

The link above also outlines how to do a multisite mode installation.

I've also written a bit on SSO, along with some similar comments to yours, on the Wahl Network blog here:

http://wahlnetwork.com/2013/02/05/successfully-installing-vcenter-sso-part-2-service-installation/

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey, Thanks Chris.

It worked. Installed the another vCenter server is multisite SSO configuration and now I'm able to manage both the vCenter server through single console using linked mode.

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos