VMware Cloud Community
Howey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Infrastructure Client 2.5 update 1 crashes regularly. Any Fixes??

This week I upgraded my Virtual Center server to 2.5.0 BUILD 84767 (Update 1, right?). It appears that Update Manager was not updated in this release.

Anyway, I updated my vpxclient to the same version 2.5.0 BUILD 84767. It has been crashing very often now. Sometimes I get the message "The process cannot access file 'C:\Documents and Settings\myprof\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx\viclient-X.log' because it is being used by another process." Never had that message until now.

Also, the client will just shut down with a dialog box that I haven't seen before, wanting to send information to Microsoft. No, it's not the standard one for app crashes I'm familiar with. Never seen this particular dialog box until yesterday.

I've had this problem on multiple Windows XP SP2 boxes, where we were running the vpxclient 2.5 just fine. Any advice?

(Also, Update Manager is acting really squirrelly now.)

TIA,

Howard H

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had this issue when I installed the update manager client from the plugin manager. In order to fix in my environment, I uninstalled the update manager client code from the machine, and then manually ran the update manager client install from the vc client media from the /vci directory on the root of that cd. That fixed my client and it hasn't crashed since.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is a link to a thread where someone was having the same problem. Their solution was to uninstall all the VI-Client pieces and delete all folders pertaining to the VI-Client. Anways check out the link and the solution is the last post. I hope it helps.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/914869#914869

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

I suspect this is a .net code mismatch, the VI client should have the current .net 2.0 installed. Have you tried updating .net?

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had this issue when I installed the update manager client from the plugin manager. In order to fix in my environment, I uninstalled the update manager client code from the machine, and then manually ran the update manager client install from the vc client media from the /vci directory on the root of that cd. That fixed my client and it hasn't crashed since.

-KjB

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've seen this on the forum somewhere indicated you have to remove and replace the .dll files that would resolve your crashes issue. Please search more details since I didn't bookmark that thread sorry Smiley Sad

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Howey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had removed and reinstalled VI Client already, clearing out directories under Program Files\VMware, to no avail. I reinstalled again this morning, but did not even attempt to install Install manager. I've had no crashes all day. Guess I'll wait for an update on it before installing.

I guess such postings as "Update Manager Sux" have some validity.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had issues only when I used the plugin manager to install update manager. When I installed the update manager from the vc cd, under the vci folder, vmware-umclient.exe. I have not had any issues after that, and it has been working well ever since.

-KjB

Howey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, me too, so far. If installed from the CD (or equivalent) and not downloaded from the VC as a plug-in, even Update Mgr works.

Thanks for your help, kjb007.

0 Kudos