A brief idea of my test lab environment:

vCenter Servers:

vc1 - Registered to psc1 in Site1

vc2 - Registered to psc2 in Site2

External Platform Services Controllers:

psc1 - Site1

psc2 - Site2

SSO Domain: vsphere.local

I upgraded from vCenter Server 5.5 Update 3d to vCenter Server 6.0 Update 2. The vCenter servers in 5.5 had integrated / embedded SSO's and all the services running on the same machine and were in linked mode before the upgrade and I removed them from linked mode before the upgrade. They were upgraded to vCenter Server 6.0 with Embedded PSC and they automatically entered Enhanced Linked Mode (ELM).

After the step above, I deployed 2 external PSC's psc1 and psc2 in replication mode with vc1 and vc2 in the same site's Site1 and Site2 respectively. I then migrated the embedded psc's of both the vCenter Servers to their respective external psc replication partners by running the command cmsso-util reconfigure --repoint-psc "psc1/psc2" --username administrator --domain-name "vsphere.local" --passwd "administrator_password". This operation completed successfully and my vCenter's were reconfigured as vCenter Server with External PSC.

After this, I followed VMware KB article 2127057 (Determining replication agreements and status with the Platform Services Controller 6.0 (2127057) | ...) to make the 2 external psc's psc1 and psc2 replication partners of each other by running the command vdcrepadmin -f createagreement -2 -h psc2.clifford.local -H psc1.clifford.local -u administrator -w "administrator_password". I ran this command from psc2. This operation also completed successfully and when I query the replication status of the replication partners psc1 and psc2, there is nothing wrong. However after restarting my vSphere Infrastructure, I see that vc1, psc1 and psc2 have all their services started successfully.

vc2 services seem to be failing to start, especially the VMware Component Manager service which is required for many other services to start. The VMware HTTP Reverse Proxy service starts successfully and I don't have any IIS role / feature installed on my machine. The error message that occurs while trying to manually start the service is as attached as file Error2.JPG in the discussion. The error from the Windows Event Log is as attached as file Error3.JPG in the discussion.

Please let me know how do I resolve this issue at the earliest.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Clifford_Dhaman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I found a solution myself.

Basically, after I created the 2 external psc's psc1 and psc2 as replication partners of vc1 and vc2 in Site1 and Site2 respectively, I had to immediately follow VMware KB article 2127057 in order to create a replication agreement between the 2 external psc's psc1 and psc2 before I reconfigured and repointed the vCenter Servers vc1 and vc2 from embedded psc's to external psc's by following the VMware Documentation (vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center).

That's it.

Thanks to everyone for looking into it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Clifford_Dhaman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I found a solution myself.

Basically, after I created the 2 external psc's psc1 and psc2 as replication partners of vc1 and vc2 in Site1 and Site2 respectively, I had to immediately follow VMware KB article 2127057 in order to create a replication agreement between the 2 external psc's psc1 and psc2 before I reconfigured and repointed the vCenter Servers vc1 and vc2 from embedded psc's to external psc's by following the VMware Documentation (vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center).

That's it.

Thanks to everyone for looking into it.

0 Kudos