VMware Cloud Community
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Client Integration Plugin 6.0 install failed - solution

Hi,

I tried install VMware Client Integration Plugin 6.0 for deploy new vCenter Server VA and I received this error:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

A program run as part of the setup did finish as expected.

Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

On the background is a window with status:

Installing certificates and starting services...

In folder %TEMP% is log file vmmsi.log_<date_time>_Failed.log

Key data:

14:24:29:296]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CsdServiceInstall,Description=Installing certificates and starting service...,)

Action 14:24:29: CsdServiceInstall. Installing certificates and starting service...

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:29:306]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CsdServiceInstall,ActionType=3090,Source=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Client Integration Plug-in 6.0\vmware-csd.exe,Target=--install,)

CustomAction CsdServiceInstall returned actual error code 3 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:29:936]: Note: 1: 1722 2: CsdServiceInstall 3: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Client Integration Plug-in 6.0\vmware-csd.exe 4: --install

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:29:936]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:29:936]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1722

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action CsdServiceInstall, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Client Integration Plug-in 6.0\vmware-csd.exe, command: --install

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:32:005]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:32:005]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (60:34) [14:24:32:005]: Product: VMware Client Integration Plug-in 6.0.0 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action CsdServiceInstall, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Client Integration Plug-in 6.0\vmware-csd.exe, command: --install

Unfortunately I couldn't find out the reason of error from this log.

After my extremely long researching I find out

that subprocess vmware-csd (creating keys and certificetes) logs into the folder C:\ProgramData\VMware\CIP\csd\logs

Example of the log file (csd_000x.log) in troublefree installation:

[2015-03-16 16:30:39] [INFO] Certificate registered!!!

[2015-03-16 16:30:39] [INFO] Changes to the hosts file were successful.

[2015-03-16 16:30:39] [INFO] Changes to the hosts file were successful.

[2015-03-16 16:30:39] [INFO] Successful install of CSD protocol handler.

In my case log file ended:

[2015-03-16 16:30:39] [INFO] Certificate registered!!!

There were missing records about some modification of file hosts.

Reason:

Installer will fail, if the file hosts.bak exists there before running installation of VMware Client Integration Plugin 6.0 !

Solution:

Rename or delete file hosts.bak in folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

Good Luck.

P.S.

Deacivate any antivirus before starting the installation of VMware Client Integration Plugin 6.0

29 Replies
Max_Mustermann
Contributor
Contributor

VMware confirmed this problem in the VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 2 Release Notes:

http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/vsphere/60/vsphere-vcenter-server-60u2-release-notes.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Client Integration Plug-In Installation Issues

New Issue VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0 cannot be installed using Window System Account credentials

InstallCertificate method does not create the CIP directory in C:\ProgramData\VMware folder when vmware-csd.exe runs with --install parameter using the Windows system account.This results in installation failure of VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin.

Workaround: None

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When are VMware going to release a fix for this issue. Very poor on VMware!! And why have they moved to a client install to appliances such as vCenter. It used to be so easy but now they have overcomplicated the situation!!

InvalidCharacte
Contributor
Contributor

The hosts file “fix” didn’t work for me but vTardo’s post and screen shot of the error message was the same as mine so I looked at extracting the .msi from the VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0.exe and the following worked for me.

1. Attempt to install the plugin using VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0.exe
  2. When you get the message from the “VMWare Product Installation” that “Setup has detected that the installation package is corrupted….”  Do not click the OK yet, open a run line and enter %temp%
  3. A Windows Explorer window will open, look for a folder that ends with <GUID>~setup Open this folder
  4. There should be 3 files:

instmsiw.exe

vcrdist_x86.exe

VMware-ClientIntegrationPulugin-6.0.0.msi

5. Copy the 3 files into another folder

6. Close the error message in Step 2 by clicking the OK

7.Now run VMware-ClientIntegrationPulugin-6.0.0.msi to install the plugin

If this works for you, these three files can be used on other systems that are having the same problem.

If it does work for you please post of success maybe VMWare will post these files in a ZIP file instead of  VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0.exe

BTW- I’m still having problems running the plugin in a hardened IE 11 but Firefox will run it.

Thanks to vTardo and Terence Luk for helping solve this.

MartinMaletti
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

Worked like a charm in a Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit SP1.

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
trindflo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for sharing your research.  I found my hosts file was being locked by Avira Antivirus.

0 Kudos
ivanerben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, it seem this issue still exists with vSphere 6.5 without solution? On Windows 7 when installing "VMware Plug-in Service" using SCCM under SYSTEM account.

MSI (s) (84:D8) [08:53:03:701]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CipCertInstall,Description=Installing certificates...,) MSI (s) (84:D8) [08:53:03:702]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CipCertInstall,ActionType=3090,Source=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Plug-in Service\vmware-cip-init.exe,Target=--install,) MSI (s) (84:D8) [08:53:22:795]: Note: 1: 1722 2: CipCertInstall 3: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Plug-in Service\vmware-cip-init.exe 4: --install  MSI (s) (84:D8) [08:53:22:795]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error  MSI (s) (84:D8) [08:53:22:795]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1722  CustomAction CipCertInstall returned actual error code -1073741819 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

With windows 8 and 10 it is working.

0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Old post, but this is till the solution for the latest 6.5 plugin!

It will fail if hosts.bak is present.. VMware, please fix this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ChrisAnderson20
Contributor
Contributor

I've had issues with this and this solution worked for me.

Although the vcrdist_x86.exe (C++ Redistributable 2013 package) needs to be installed prior to installing VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0.exe

SkydivinGirl
Contributor
Contributor

I also ran into this issue but none of the solutions in this thread worked.  The problem ended up being with the size of our hosts file.  We use a large hosts file to redirect known bad hosts to 127.0.0.1.  This creates a hosts file that is about 4K in size.  To get the installation to work, I renamed our hosts file and created an empty one.  The installer went through then I manually copied the entries created by the installer to our real hosts file then renamed it back to hosts.

Seems like these are all issues that could easily be fixed on the installer side.

Heather

0 Kudos
xp33
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we've been facing the same issue.

removing hosts.bak, cutting down hosts, deinstall in safe mode - all did'nt work.

What worked for me finally after some research is to run the actual installer execcutable with the /a /c options - that removes the registry entries of the installation.

Run in an admin cmd-Window: VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-6.0.0-6823256.exe /a /c

I then removed the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Client Integration Plug-in 6.0 as well as the directory C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VMware\CIP

I hope that'll help other folks.

0 Kudos