VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMtools High CPU

Pardon me if ths is the ioncorrect forum.  I have a 2003 server that is running the latest version of vmtools and it seems to be utilizing quite a bit of CPU.  No other server or VM is taking up that much CPU.  It is using 15% of the CPU and not sure why.  Time sync is not enabled.  I tried to uninstall adn reinstall with the same resultsa.  Is this normal or is something going on.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

15% of the Host CPU? If 15% of the guest CPU, you need to check what processes are using the cpu cycle.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry.  15% of teh guest.  Teh process is vmtoolsd.exe

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Is this SQL server?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's a developement box but i have 3 other SQL servers that utilize little or no CPU.  Thats what is so odd.

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Surely, this not the permanent solution.

what's the version of VMware Tools version? Did it work in earlier VMware tools version without any issue?

I tried installing previous vmtools version in problematic SQL servers VM (2), the issue got resolved.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't really say if this issues has been going on for a while.  Someone brought it to my attention today and that's teh reason i'm going theu it now.  I found another post related to vmtoolsd.exe and high CPU so i'm trying that fix.  It's related to perfmon.   The version rcurrnetly running is 8.3.12

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1637542

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Thanks for the another workaround link.

So have you checked any issue in the perfmon in your VM?

The issue occured like you in the month of Dec 2011. I think so..

Not sure, is there any permanent resolution exists now?

0 Kudos