VMware Cloud Community
Virtually_Jim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs show on one datastore when they are actually on another

We are trying to delete an old datastore and have moved everything off of it but we can’t delete it. We get a message saying Call "HostDatastoreSystem.RemoveDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-11599" on vCenter Server "servername" failed.

If I go into the datastore view it shows 2 VMs there but if you look at the location of their virtual disks they are on a different datastore.

One thing I noticed is that a bunch of VMs had ISOs attached to their CD drives that used to be on the datastore we want to delete but are not there anymore. I was able to detach all of them but the 2 problematic VMs still show an attachment to the datastore even though I was able to detach the ISOs.

I was able to use the remove from inventory option and it disappeared from the datastore view but once I added it back it showed up on that datastore again even though the files are on a different datastore.

In the screenshots the datastore we want gone is called delete. I read that sometimes you can rename it and then it will let you delete it but no go for me. I also read you can delete it from logging into an individual host and then deleting that but that didn’t work. You can also see that there is no ISO attached anymore.

We cant unmount it either.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtually_Jim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are the man! There were snapshots on the VMs and I removed them and now its all cleared up. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello Jim,

Seems that when you had an ISO attached there might have a been a snapshot taken and Hence it is still referencing to the data store,

Check if you have snapshots on the VM - if so commit them - then the data store will go away from the VM.

If  there are no snapshots then take a test snapshot and commit them. Once you have removed the Reference from the data store, you should be able to un mount or delete the data store

Thanks,

Avinash

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
Virtually_Jim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are the man! There were snapshots on the VMs and I removed them and now its all cleared up. Thanks.

0 Kudos