VMware Cloud Community
Will_F-1
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion with Nehalon CPU's

Hi All,

Currently I have an EVC enabled cluster with 4 Intel based ESX servers, 2 E5430’s (Penryn), X5550 (Nehalem) and X5365 (Meron). If a VM is started on the X5550 I can VMotion to any of the other CPU’s however I get an error (see screen shot) when I VMotion from any of the other CPU’s to the X5550 server. The NX flag is set to hidden on the VM.

Applying the following mask X- 0- -0 -

-
X- -

does fix this (I think it’s hiding SSE 4.2 instructions?), however I would have expected EVC to mask and drop down to the Meron baseline (vCentre

says it’s EVC baseline is Meron). Does anyone else experience the same behaviour when mixing newer Nehalem cpu’s into a cluster?

Running ESX 3.5 U4, vCentre 2.5 U3.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I ran into the same problem today, enabling EVC on two new Dell R710's with Nehalem processors, I'm also on ESX 3.5 U4 and vCenter 2.5 U3. I get the feeling we might need vCenter 2.5 U4 but I haven't found any good info to confirm this yet.

Will_F-1
Contributor
Contributor

I might try upgrading my dev environment tomorrow, will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Will_F-1
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like U4 did the trick, now running ESX servers at 3.5.0 build 153875 and VC at 2.5.0 build 147633

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the info! I won't be able to run VC 2.5 U4 until I get my licenses but it's worth knowing that it'll fix the problem.

0 Kudos