VMware Cloud Community
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMotion problem - 'device with remote backing'

When trying to VMotion from one ESX server to another, I receive this error:

Unable to migrate from ESX1 to ESX2: Virtual machine is configured to use a device that prevents migration: Device 'CD/DVD Drive 1' is a connected device with a remote backing.

If i view the virtual machine properties, the CD/DVD drive is showing as 'Connected - client unknown'. All of the CD/DVD properties are greyed out.

I can click the 'Disconnect D:' button on the toolbar with the VI client, but this doesnt have any effect.

Any ideas?!

P.S i even tried removing the CD/DVD device whilst the VM was powered off, powering up the VM, powering it down, and re adding the CD/DVD but this didnt have any effect.

Thanks

0 Kudos
28 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should find what is configured to use the device.

Another way: did you try unistalling the device in the virtual OS?

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I have this same issuse on a VM i use for testing VMotion, its been used 100's of times for VMotion..

Removing the CD/DVD didnt help, but removing both the CD/DVD and Floppy did the trick..

I havent looked too deeply into it.. But will do later..

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

I think that is caused by a vcenter user with the console open to the VM that has the CD connected via Device type "Client Device"

Check the sessions on the server and see if anyone has that vm open.

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I added my CD/DVD and floppy back, but still get the issues.. But that a good shout, as that VM has had console connected via VC, although all have been closed and VM rebooted etc..

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

That's really curious. If you can shutdown the vm for a few minutes, try making a new VM pointing to the existing disk files and see if that will vmotion.

acr
Champion
Champion

Im quite sure that would work, i'll see if i can get chance to test..

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Couldn't work out what was causing this...there weren't any sessions showing.

I removed the VM from virtual center, and then re-registered it. This did the trick - can now VMotion OK.

thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

Glad to hear that helped.

Thanks for the points!

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm still having these problems, but now it's happening on 9 of our VMs - a real pain. Only way I can see to fix is to remove the VMs from virtual centre and reregister them.

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas?

James

Message was edited by:

jparnell

0 Kudos
ogino
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same problems on my VMs running linux OS-es.

And NOW I resolve the problems!! Yeah!!

The cause is that my VMs hold "VMware Tools Install" images on their Virtual CD-ROM drives.

Click "Inventry->Virtual Machine->End VMware Tools Install".

It may save you.

0 Kudos
pmorrison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen this too. If the VM tools install thinks it is still running the CD drive is mapped to the iso file on the host. You wont be able to VMotion until you disable the tools install.

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem and found this solution in another post:

When trying to vmotion a virtual machine you may get an error message that says you cannot migrate the vm because the CD is connected to a device that prevents migration. If you try to disconnect that device it may stay connected. If it does, open an SSH connection to the ESX host.

Once connected run the following command: "service mgmt-vmware restart"

This will restart the management interface and should clear the connection to the CD or floppy.

Bill S.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

I couldn't select to end my instlal but doing a "repair" fixed my remote backing issue.

Ben

0 Kudos
jdcaddie
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried th uninstall and re-install of both the floppy and the CD-Rom although still no luck. What I did find to work more than once it powering down your VM > ensure either Floppy and or CD-Rom are both disconnected > Migrate to another ESX server > Power VM up > try to VMotion.

I hope this helps

JC

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

Had another one today, I did a 'mgmt-vmware restart' and it fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
RockyII
Contributor
Contributor

This should cure the problem without the need to shutdown the VM...

Select "Install VMware Tools" on the Virtual Machine - this will initiate the VMware Tools Installer Mount.

Select "End VMware Tools Install" - this will unmount the Tools Installer.

A word of warning, the VMware Tools Installer Mount will forcibly disconnect the remote device, so if someone has genuinely mounted a Virtual CRDOM it will be lost.

0 Kudos
Ronald_George
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I got a similar message during VMOTION. To resolve the issue, i did the following.

1. Rihgtclick on the Virtual Machine and select 'Edit Settings'

2. Select (Highlight) CD/DVD Drive 1

3. On the right hand side under Device status, uncheck the box 'Connected'

4. Try VMOTION (drag and drop the Virtual machine) and it should work.

5. If required then check the box which was unchecked in step 3 (for the moved VM on the target server).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos
RockyII
Contributor
Contributor

In this scenario the CD/DVD Device Status shows up as "Connected - client unknown" and all of the properties are greyed out, so you can't Edit the Settings.

I am not absolutely certain what the reason is for this behaviour, but I am able to recreate it...

Connect a CD to a VM, then shutdown & power off; now remove the CD (i.e. set to "Client Device"), then power back on. Now try to VMotion and Hey Presto "Device 'CD/DVD Drive 1' is a connected device with a remote backing" and all options greyed out.

The only certain workaround that I have found for this is to "Install VMware Tools"/"End VMware Tools Install", or even better disconnect the CD before shutting down the VM!

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've recently migrated a load of servers using vmware converter - and I have noticed we recieve the error on every server we migrate. I have got into the habbit of "install vmware tools"/"end vmware tools install"

0 Kudos