VMware Cloud Community
tatung70
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion names

I had a strange request (or rather one I have not had before) where a customer is asking me what name does the ESX COS use for the IP address for VMotion? I took a look and it appears they all begin with ‘minint-‘ with 7 character appended at the end.

Does anyone know how these names are determined, i.e., it is like the MAC of a VM where the first several characters are based on the individual Hosts MAC? Finally, doe sthe mininy- name change each time the Host performs a Vmotion?

Thanks,

Todd

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you are talking port name - that is defined by when the VMKernel Port is configured? If it is something else perhaps you post how that information is obatained -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

The Vmotion does not itself have a name. Only ip address and default gateway. The minint name sounds more like a windows server or client. They use this naming in there Preinstall invironment.

But maybe you can be more specific?

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I had a strange request (or rather one I have not had before) where a customer is asking me what name does the ESX COS use for the IP address for VMotion? I took a look and it appears they all begin with ‘minint-‘ with 7 character appended at the end.

Someone changed the default name for vmkernel vmotion port which is normally vmkernel by default. I am surprised they can vmotion at all if they are all unique.

If you edit the config for networking on that machine, click on the service console, and then you will see the vmkernel, I bet that name is configured 'minint-XXXXXX' in that box. That's where the name is coming from.

To be simple and make it standard it should just rename the default unless there is a compelling reason it needs to be different.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The Vmotion does not itself have a name. Only ip address and default gateway.

OH! It has a name! It's under the network config for the ESX host, and click on the vmkernel configuration, you will see it listed there, right above 'use this port for vmotion'. You can change the name to something more descriptive, but 'vmkernel' is pretty self explanatory. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tatung70
Contributor
Contributor

The port name is VMotion. I am wondering, if, during the VMotion, there is a name associated on the physical network adapter, and that it always begins with minit- and then seven characters.

BTW, Vmotion and DRS, etc work without issue.

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Where are you looking for this infomation? is it from the vmkernel log?

While the ESX servers are participating in a vMotion there are some temporary world that exist on both the servers, along with a random generated name next to the origianl VMs. I am not sure if we are talking about the samething.

-Surya

0 Kudos