VMware Cloud Community
EBK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion multiple machines

Hi

I would like to know how I can VMotion several VMs without having to run the wizard 'migrate' and without having the specify the resource pool destination.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, powershell will allow you to do this as well through the command line. It is a simple one-line script as well, so that would be another good option. What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you need to move vm's off a host completely, you can put the host in maintenance mode, and if you have DRS active, the vm's will move by themselves off into the correct pools on other servers.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
blp848
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you might be able to do it with the CLI using powershell but it might just be easier to go through the wizard.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On the left hand side of the vi client, select the datacenter level. On the right, select virtual machines. Pick the ones you want with ctrl-click, and then right-click and select migrate. You should be able to perform a vmotion of several vm's at once.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, powershell will allow you to do this as well through the command line. It is a simple one-line script as well, so that would be another good option. What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you need to move vm's off a host completely, you can put the host in maintenance mode, and if you have DRS active, the vm's will move by themselves off into the correct pools on other servers.

-KjB

0 Kudos
egiorno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

with vsphere client you can choose the desired host, in the main pane select the virtual machines tab, do a multiple choice with ctrl + click of the vm to migrate and migrate them!

egiorno

0 Kudos