VMware Cloud Community
aswani521
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion migration works only one way............

I have 2 hosts running ESX 4.0 I have installed Vcenter and I use the VSphere client GUI to manage the hosts.

I am able to perform live migration from one host to the other but not the other way round, and when I try to perform the

migration I get the following error: " A general system error occured: Failed to create journal file provided Failed to open ' /var/log/vmware/journal/1234xxxxxx.xx' for write" I don't think it was due to lack of disk space,

Can anybody help me out ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ctrople
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you tried logging in at the console and checking to see if there

is space on the host using the "df" command? Providing this is the

console version of ESX I recommend logging in to the shell and

performing a "tail -f /var/log/vmkernel" while trying to migrate in the

direction that doesn't work. I've found that the error messages

reported in vCenter don't always point you in the right place. You

might get a little bit more information to aid your search if it turns out not to be disk space.

======================================

Chyna Trople, VCP Monitor. Correlate. Act. | vWire.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ctrople
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you tried logging in at the console and checking to see if there

is space on the host using the "df" command? Providing this is the

console version of ESX I recommend logging in to the shell and

performing a "tail -f /var/log/vmkernel" while trying to migrate in the

direction that doesn't work. I've found that the error messages

reported in vCenter don't always point you in the right place. You

might get a little bit more information to aid your search if it turns out not to be disk space.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check also if you can write in thos directory.

Could also be a problem with filesystem corruption.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
aswani521
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upon doing 'df ' i found i found there enough free space on the disk so disk space is not a problem.

If I do " tail -f /var/log/vmkernel" this is the output I get, i am unable figure out anything this

# tail -f /var/log/vmkernel

Jun 18 12:45:53 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:18:43.356 cpu2:4110)Config: 289: "VMOverheadGrowthLimit" = -1, Old Value: 0, (Status: 0x0)

Jun 18 12:46:04 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:18:53.919 cpu5:4109)Config: 289: "VMOverheadGrowthLimit" = 0, Old Value: -1, (Status: 0x0)

Jun 18 12:47:13 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:20:03.376 cpu3:4099)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 25, got netfn 5 cmd 27
Jun 18 12:51:32 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:24:22.299 cpu3:4320)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 25, got netfn 5 cmd 27
Jun 18 12:53:41 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:26:31.248 cpu3:4099)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 27, got netfn 5 cmd 2d
Jun 18 13:00:09 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:32:58.944 cpu3:4321)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn b cmd 11, got netfn b cmd 10
Jun 18 13:00:09 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:32:59.805 cpu3:4319)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 27, got netfn 5 cmd 2d
Jun 18 13:04:33 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:37:23.795 cpu3:4099)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 2d, got netfn 5 cmd 25
Jun 18 13:06:43 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:39:33.207 cpu3:4321)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 2d, got netfn 5 cmd 25
Jun 18 13:08:52 localhost vmkernel: 1:00:41:42.289 cpu3:4099)<4>IPMI message handler: BMC returned incorrect response, expected netfn 5 cmd 27, got netfn 5 cmd 2d

I was able to create files in the " /var/log/vmware/journal" directory .........

Any guesses on what the cause could be for the one way migration ?

0 Kudos
ctrople
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm. Not seeing any of the migration messages in the log. Definitely check disk space on both hosts if you haven't already. I'd look through the entire vmkernel log on both hosts for any error or warning lines that include "migration."

Monitor. Correlate. Act. | vWire.com

0 Kudos
aswani521
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am sorry I was looking at the wrong side ............... i checked df only on the host machine and over looked destination machine

/var/log drive was full.

I deleted it and everything worked fine.

0 Kudos
ctrople
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent! You might want to look into setting up log file rotation so that doesn't happen again. Let me know if you need directions on how to do that.

Monitor. Correlate. Act. | vWire.com

0 Kudos