VMware Cloud Community
podolsky
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion machine with SCSI Device (tape drive)?

Hello,

I have a VM which is currently my VirtualCenter server, as well as my backup server. I've attached a SCSI card to the ESX host, and passed through to the VM. When I try to migrate the VM, I get an error in the validation that says:

"Unable to migrate from host2.domain.com to host1.domain.com: Virtual machine is configured to use a device that prevents migration: Device 'SCSI Device 1' is a raw disk, which is not supported."

I realize the SCSI card won't work on the other host, but is there any way around this behavior? I'd just like to VMotion it while performing patches using VMware Update Manager. The workaround I have is to shut down the VirtualCenter VM, remove the SCSI device, then boot it up, and remediate the host.

I know raw disk mappings are supported with VMotion. Why wouldn't this work also, if it's a 'raw disk', like the error message says?

Thanks,

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well unfortunately I don't think there is any other process than what you are doing now because of the physical scsi card your vm is looking for. That's why when you vmotion hardware has to be like to the vm you are vmotioning.

-go easy
0 Kudos
podolsky
Contributor
Contributor

Hm, what if we purchased a second SCSI card, and placed it into the exact same slot on the other host? Both hosts are identical hardware. Thanks.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No you will not be able to vmotion - your vm can not be attached to anything that will remain on the originating esx server - that is why you can not vmotion VMs connected to local floppies and cds as well - and adding a second scsi card/drive to the other server will not allow you to do it -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful