VMware Cloud Community
Esys
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion failure

I have upgraded a couple of LUNs on our SAN to expand storage. I have successfully Vmotioned six machines from two of the "old" LUNs to the news ones. However, one Vm, RHEL5.64, consistently fails with the error "Failed to communicate with the remote host, either due to network errors or because the host is not responding." I can VMothion the Vm between hosts, but cannot move it to any other LUN. WOrkarounds, suggestions, whacks on the side of the head? The ESX servers are running 3.0.1, Virtual Center is 3.0.2. Other RHEL VMs have migrated happily, as have W2k3 VMs.

thx

Bll

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Are you trying to migrate a running VM to another LUN whilethe VM is running? The VM would have to be off to move between luns.

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
Esys
Contributor
Contributor

My bad, forgot to mention the VM is shut down and powered off.

0 Kudos
Esys
Contributor
Contributor

One other anomoly I just noticed. The disk size on the Settings page is "unknown", but the VM runs just fine.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

Try restarting the mgmt agent on the host with the affected vm (sounds like vc is having problems gathering info on this vm). I had an instance like this - wound up the vmdk was corrupt and I had to use Platespin powerconvert to move the vm.

DB

DB
0 Kudos
Esys
Contributor
Contributor

More trivia, I can move the VM between hosts, I just can't change it's storage to a different LUN (which has several other VMs on it.) Results and error message are the same doesn't matter which host the VM is on or which LUN (of 5) I try to move it to.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Butcha
Contributor
Contributor

You must be sure that your ESX hosts see all luns using the same lun ID's. I have been in a situation where certain luns on our SAN could only be accessed by certain hosts due to different ESX hosts seeing certain luns as different lun ID's.

0 Kudos