VMware Cloud Community
rmigfr
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion blocked at 94%

I have a strange problem with VMotion 2.0.1 between tow cpu compatibles ESX 3.0.1.

When I migrate a virtual machine (a previously 2.5 VM, upgraded to VI 3 using "upgrading virtual machine hardware", and now hosted on a vmfs 3), VMotion seems to work flawlessly up to 94%. The virtual machine is still running, it already migrated on the other server, but the vmotion task seems to be stuck.

After restarting the Virtual Center service, I can now edit the VM (it is no more stuck in "Migrating..." status), but in the task history, the vmotion is still in progress.

Any idea about this problem ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could be a DNS issue. Check the all of your ESX hosts can ping eachother and your VC server by just their hostnames, if they can't add entries for them both FQDN and hostname to the /etc/hosts[/b] file on each esx server and the hosts file on your VC server.

The other thing to check is that the duplex settings on your vMotion NIC are as you expect, port flapping can cause problems and timeouts.

0 Kudos
tuemadsen
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm experiencing the exact same problem, and I do not believe I have a DNS problem.

Anyways. It stalls at 94%, but does actually complete if I wait about 8 minutes.

-Tue

0 Kudos
Napsty
Contributor
Contributor

Experiencing exactly the same...

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Both of you have double checked the speed and the duplex setting? (must be statically 1000 full duplex)

0 Kudos
kbk00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I doubt it's the issue here, but I've seen delays with migrations when there's a console open when trying to migrate (stops with like 5% to go). Usually another admin will have worked on a VM and not closed or navigated away from the console screen...

Like I said, i doubt it's the issue here but just for some general knowledge.

If you found this posting to be useful, great. I didn't waste your time.
0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Experiencing this also. Usually I just let it go eventually it clears up but this time I want to put the host in maintenance mode to upgrade hardware and it won't let me do it.

Migrating from an IBM x366 to HS20 Blade, compatibile CPU's. As with the OP, this VM was also originally built in ESX v2.5 and upgraded months ago. Never VMotion'd since.

0 Kudos