VMware Cloud Community
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMotion between Intel Dual-Core 5160 and Intel Quad-Core E5345 - validation succeeded but migration unsuccessful??

Hello,

we have cluster with HP DL 380 G5. The first one is Intel Dual-Core 5160 and the second is Intel Quad-Core E5345. When I chech prerequisities on VMware - this CPUs aren´t compatible for VMotion. When I check PDF doc from HP, than this CPUs ARE compatible. When I start online migration, I successfuly pass validation, migration start, but on 10% after few second I get message "Operation time out".

Do you have any suggestion where can I look for error, or this configuration will not be functional?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A timeout at 10 % usually indicates a problem with the networking for the vmkernel port group that you have enabled for vmotion. On host A run the command

vmkping

Then do the same from Host B to see if you can reach the vmotion IP for host A. If either fails, then you'll want to check your vmotion IP setup. Perhaps you have a VLAN setup problem, or the vmotion NICs aren't on the same switch, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A timeout at 10 % usually indicates a problem with the networking for the vmkernel port group that you have enabled for vmotion. On host A run the command

vmkping

Then do the same from Host B to see if you can reach the vmotion IP for host A. If either fails, then you'll want to check your vmotion IP setup. Perhaps you have a VLAN setup problem, or the vmotion NICs aren't on the same switch, etc.

0 Kudos
ssnorway
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got that problem to when i had the vmotion on the same network as the rest of the guests!

1. Put the vmotion on a seperate network on a own Network switch 1Gb " I use a 12 ports HP Switch 1gb speed"

I have quad core & dual core setup with no problem as long as the networks are seperated for the vmotion !

Use a simple 10.0.0.1 -> 255.255.255.0 network an u will have no problem with vmotion.

Svein E Jensen

IT Avdelningen

ÅRE KOMMUN

Box 201, 830 05 Järpen

0647-16331

****************************** Svein E Jensen IT Avdelningen ÅRE KOMMUN Box 201, 830 05 Järpen 0647-16331 ******************************
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Dave. There was the error in configuration on the switch. It works now.

0 Kudos