VMware Cloud Community
snikt228
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion between IBM HS20 and HS21 blade?

I've recently added another blade to my ESX cluster. I currently have 4 IBM HS20 blades (Single core, 3.6 xeon) and just added a new HS21 (Xeon DC 3.0). HS20 - 8843-45U. HS21 - 8853-L6U

Is there any way to vmotion between these machines? I've opened a support case and looked through the articles with no luck. I've tried to hide the NX flag with no luck.

I figured someone on here might have more experience with this hardware specifically than support or has a work around. It kinda sucks to have a cluster of 4 and then 1 machine I can't vmotion to or from.

The error i'm getting is " The CPU of the host is incompatible with the CPU feature requirements of virtual machine; problem detected at CPUID level 0x1 register 'eax'"

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like you have tried the only thing you can do:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1993&slice...

If not the only other way is to do a cold migration to the new blades.

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
maia06
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The main problem is that HS20 and HS21 have different CPU types and are not VMotion compatible. The set of CPU instructions of HS20 doesn't support SSE3, while the set of CPU instructions of HS21 supports SSE3.

0 Kudos