VMware Cloud Community
njovanelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion Licensing question

Hi all,

I just finished upgrading Virtual Center 2.0.2 to 2.5 with no issues. The problem I'm having now is with VMotion licensing. In the past if I wanted to un-license VMotion on an ESX host I would go to Configuration > Licensed Features > Add-Ons > Edit and check/uncheck the box next to VMotion. Now when I follow that path I see the check mark but cannot clear it. I see a message that says "Add-on features with checks but not boxes are aquired by this host through Virtual Center."

My ESX hosts are all 3.0.1 and the license server runs on the same server as Virtual Center. VMotion works fine on the licensed hosts but I need to move the VMotion license to another host.

What am I missing here?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Go to configuration/networking/edit vmkernel port and on general you can check/uncheck vmotion option. This free vmotion licences.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gene_torres
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've seen the same thing in my environment (unable to clear checkbox). If you click on the ESX host in VC, go to the summary tab and under "Commands" see if you have the VMotion Settings link. If you do, try that.

0 Kudos
njovanelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks but there is no VMotion Settings link listed under Commands

0 Kudos
mstanek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I suggest restart VMware licence server. You get all licence free, and ESX host take licences which will need.

0 Kudos
njovanelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks but still no luck. Below is what I've done so far:

-restarted License service

-Disconnect ESX host and reconnect

-remove ESX host and re-add

-restart Virtual Center server

-service mgmt-vmware restart

is there any requirement out there I missed to update license server software of something?

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Go to configuration/networking/edit vmkernel port and on general you can check/uncheck vmotion option. This free vmotion licences.

0 Kudos
njovanelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it, THANKS Roc.ker!!

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Some suggestions:

is your host in a DRS cluster?

try removing it from the cluster, i believe drs requires vmotion

In networking configuration for the host, open properties of the vmkernel port group and uncheck 'use this connection for vmotion' or something to that regard.

In licensing configuration for the host, change license type to unlicensed

Then use the vmotion license on the other host and re-enable license.