VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion IP's

Can I use a 192.168.50.x ip range for Vmotion kernel (and the SC for it)?

I am running a separte NIC for VMotion traffic. A separate NIC for CONSOLE, and yet another for our iSCSI / LUNs which will be on a 10. network .

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use whatever range you want as the servers involved in vmotion only have to communicate with each other. The SC port IP will have to be able to communicate with your VC server so it would be best use a seperate IP range for it than you do for vmotion, especially if you plan to VLAN your vmotion port.

If you want to add some redundancy to your setup, you could combine your SC NIC and vmotino NIC into one vswitch, use a seperate IP range for your vmotion network and then isolate it with a VLAN.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use whatever range you want as the servers involved in vmotion only have to communicate with each other. The SC port IP will have to be able to communicate with your VC server so it would be best use a seperate IP range for it than you do for vmotion, especially if you plan to VLAN your vmotion port.

If you want to add some redundancy to your setup, you could combine your SC NIC and vmotino NIC into one vswitch, use a seperate IP range for your vmotion network and then isolate it with a VLAN.

0 Kudos
Roeschu_Keller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Just to be sure if i understand this older posting the right way:

The

Vmotion Interface with his IP Address does not have to be in the same

IP Net as the VirtualCenter Server. The VirtualCenter Server has only

to see the Service Console Interface but not the vmotion interface in

order to execute all the vmware technics in a SAN environment (HA, DRS,

Vmotion). The vmotion interface has only to be able to communicate with

the other vmotion interfaces of the other esx server in a Vmware

"cluster".

Is this right?

greets + thx

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Exactly that Roeschu - it is recommended to have the vmotion subnet completely isolated from any other network traffic.

0 Kudos