VMware Cloud Community
rbedel
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion Compatibility

Hello,

I have been working on setting up Virtual Center. I have 3 identical hosts, HP DL380 G3's. I cannot get high availability to work. It errors out and says HA agent on server in cluster has an error. It gives me the same error on all 3 hosts. When I have the hosts in the cluster EVC is disabled. If I create the cluster first and enable EVC it gives me the error the host's CPU hardware does not support Enhanced VMotion Compatibility. I can't find anywhere that lists which CPU's are allowed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

The main thing about HA is that you can resolve the server named by FQDN and that you add the server in VC by servername.

Try that...

You need to create the cluster as an EVC cluster first...and the add hosts.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As Lars pointed out name resolution is critical - if you can not resolve by FQDN between your ESX hosts and VC it will not work - also your hosts need to be added to VC with the FQDN - also to point out VMotion has nothing to do with HA - VMotion requires both originating and destination host up and running - the very nature of HA restarts the VMs on the other hosts

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
rbedel
Contributor
Contributor

I have double checked my dns records and everything is correct. Apparently these HP machines I have are not compatible with EVC. It will not let me add them becuase they are not supported it says. On the cluster I still have these issues. "Insuffiecient resources to satisfy HA failover level on cluster" and "Unable to contact a primary HA agent in cluster"

I only have on virtual macine in the cluster so I'm not sure why I would have insufficient resources. I'm not sure about setting up a primary HA agent.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

there may be an issue with DNS so try adding host entries to your ESX boxes. You should add the IP and FQDN for all the hosts, VC and your filer. Then test the conectivity may help troubleshoot this.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you getting those 2 errors on all the host or just select ones?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rbedel
Contributor
Contributor

It started out on two of the three, but now it is on all three hosts.

0 Kudos