VMware Cloud Community
GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion CPU Compatibility

We have upgrade our environment from VC 2.0.1 to VC 2.5.

Currently we have four ESX 3.0.2 hosts and one ESX 3.5 host that has just been added to the datacenter.

When we try and vmotion a guest from the 3.0.2 host to the 3.5 host, we get an error message on the vmotion validation screen:

Unable to migrate from server A to server B: Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x80000001 register "ecx".

It does refer us to KB Article 1993, but does anyone have any other idea's on how to get around this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm no entirely sure you'd be able to move the VM's from the existing four hosts to that fifth by itself, but yes, that's correct. There isn't really all that much to doing this, just go into the cluster settings in a new cluster and enable for the right processor family.. All EVC does is take care of configuring the masking for you so that VM's from older hardware platforms (on the AMD side, the minimum requirement is the 2nd generation Opteron -- Rev. E or F). You should be able to read abou EVC in the release notes for ESX 3.5 U2 / VC 2.5 U2/3.

As I said, I've used EVC in two different datacenters to migrate from existing 585 G1's to G5's successfully. The key here is to make sure all other VMotion boundaries (shared storage, correct network configurations) are handled properly; EVC will handle the CPU masking for you.

-Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes the problem isn't the ESX server, the problem is your CPU. My guess is you are using 3.02 on Dual Core processors, trying to Vmotion to a Quad Core processors 5400 or 7300 something like that, correct?

Some CPU's in different families have different cache sizes, or different technology that makes them incompatible, and since ESX is strict (to avoid problems with transistion) they prevent vmotion across.

So the only way around it is to cold migrate, meaning you power off the VM, remove from datacenter, and re-add it on the other box.

GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes ESX 3.0.2 is running on Dual Core AMD CPU's. Our new ESX 3.5 host is running on Quad Core AMD CPU's.

Regarding this article: , I guess we have two options, the cold migrate or changing the mask globally in VirtualCenter.

Has anyone used the override mask before, specially the global one?

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you're using VC 2.5 U2 or 3, you can enable EVC for the new cluster that contains the new Barcelona-based servers.. Then, as long as all storage is mapped properly and portgroups are configured, you can VMotion from existing dual cores to the newer servers.. We just moved a cluster from 3 year old DL585 G1's that had the 8xx series procs to G5's.. Worked flawlessly!

-Steve
GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi diztorted, thanks for the reply.

At the moment our cluster has 5 hosts, one of which is the new 3.5 host (Quad Core).

So what you are saying is, remove the host from that cluster and create a new cluster with that host in, enable EVC, and then VMotion the remaining VM's off the other four hosts on this new host, and this will work?

I had no idea this was possible. Is there anyone else who has done this, or any documentation etc. I can look at ?

Is there any risks with losing data with creating a new cluster and moving the guests over?

Thanks

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm no entirely sure you'd be able to move the VM's from the existing four hosts to that fifth by itself, but yes, that's correct. There isn't really all that much to doing this, just go into the cluster settings in a new cluster and enable for the right processor family.. All EVC does is take care of configuring the masking for you so that VM's from older hardware platforms (on the AMD side, the minimum requirement is the 2nd generation Opteron -- Rev. E or F). You should be able to read abou EVC in the release notes for ESX 3.5 U2 / VC 2.5 U2/3.

As I said, I've used EVC in two different datacenters to migrate from existing 585 G1's to G5's successfully. The key here is to make sure all other VMotion boundaries (shared storage, correct network configurations) are handled properly; EVC will handle the CPU masking for you.

-Steve
0 Kudos
GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We would probably add another new host to that cluster so that there's two of them for the time being whilst we upgrade the old servers.

Thanks for the reply, your advice is appreciated!

0 Kudos
GlennL10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to create a new cluster in a production environment without any impact? I'm not 100% sure what the process involves or what goes on in the background when a new cluster is created?

Also, do we just "remove" the new host from the existing cluster, and then "add" to to the new cluster?

0 Kudos