VMware Cloud Community
REALM
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare - XP scsi driver on ESX

Just thought I'd post my notes, which was for getting XP on ESX 3.0. Haven't tried with 3.5 yet so XP may work on 3.5 without this:

Windows XP scsi driver

Create VM with a buslogic disk (create using Custom, not typical)

Boot the VM from the Windows CD

Hit F6 when prompted for driver.

When it asks for a: floppy, edit the VM floppy settings, and browse to the flp image in vmimages, and click connected, then go back to the VM and hit ENTER.

It should then find the driver and allow you to see the disk you have given it.

VMWare Instructions - Using the Driver in a New Virtual Machine

To use the driver when you are installing a Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP guest operating system in a newly created virtual machine, follow these steps.

• 1. Save the downloaded file -- VMware-BusLogic-SCSIDriver-1.2.0.0.flp -- to a folder or directory of your choice on your host computer.

• 2. Attach the floppy image to your virtual machine.

• o For Workstation or GSX Server:

In the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings) configure your virtual machine's floppy drive to use the file VMware-BusLogic-SCSIDriver-1.2.0.0.flp. Be sure the Connect at Power On check box is not selected.

• o For ESX Server:

Use the Hardware tab in the VMware Management Interface to edit the floppy drive configuration. Specify VMware-BusLogic-SCSIDriver-1.2.0.0.flp as the floppy image file.

• 3. Insert the installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and begin installing the operating system.

• 4. Watch the messages at the bottom of the character-mode screen during the early stages of the installation. One of the messages tells you to press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver. When this message appears, press F6.

• 5. Connect the floppy drive (VM > Removable Devices), so your virtual machine can use the driver files contained in VMware-BusLogic-SCSIDriver-1.2.0.0.flp.

• 6. Continue with the installation, following the instructions provided by the installer.

• 7. As you are installing the SCSI driver, warning messages inform you that the driver has not passed Windows logo testing. You may safely ignore these messages. Click Yes to continue installing the software.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

good stuff!! We use LSI for our XP VM's, they seem to perform a little better.

i've attached the driver we use, just in case.

0 Kudos
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

@Realm - Great write up, nice work Smiley Happy

@Troy - Its great you posted up the driver; lots of clients that I have worked with have problems locating the correct driver. Seems it is common for people to download the most up to date driver from LSI, which of course, doesnt work under ESX.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos